Mac Mini Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrewj8, Apr 12, 2010.

1. andrewj8 macrumors newbie

Any thoughts on getting a mini in the near future or waiting for an update? Is there a chance that there would be new processors such as the i5 or i7 in them anytime soon? Have those who bought Minis found them somewhat futureproof (5-7 years?). Thanks in advance for any input!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Minis have only been around 5 years. Intels only around 4. No way the i7 will make it into a mini in the near future. Even an i5 is doubtful. i3 maybe in the fall. My 1.66 Core Duo mini, nearly 4 years since first release, is still supported in OS upgrades by Apple. Its RAM limit of 2GB means some bigger tasks are slow but for most things, its more than sufficient.

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

The Mac mini is currently powerful enough to carry you through the next 5-7 years if you need it to. It's inexpensive enough though that if you ended up wanting to upgrade in 2 or 3 years, it wouldn't cost too much, and you could sell the older mini.

4. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

There is no way the Mini will have a i7, and with the way Mac osx 10.7 is being developed the future proof of 5 - 7 years looks good.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure Minis will stick with Core 2 Duos until 2011. MAYBE new GPU but won't be a huge upgrade anyway

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Now that the 13in Macbook Pros are stuck with Intel Core 2 Duos, the Mac Minis will too. If Apple refreshes the Mac Minis, it will most likely get the same specs as the 13in Macbook Pros.