Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Sorry, but I that's utter nonsense.

really? Care to educate me? :rolleyes:
AFAIK that is the way it works on the more recent chipsets. On older gear, of course you have to use matched sticks or else it just defaults to single channel. Halving your data buss bandwidth.
If you have deeper knowledge on this I am all ears.

Last edited:

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
really? Care to educate me? :rolleyes:
AFAIK that is the way it works on the more recent chipsets. On older gear, of course you have to use matched sticks or else it just defaults to single channel. Halving your data buss bandwidth.
If you have deeper knowledge on this I am all ears.

The specs are all there to see on intel.com mate.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/CoreTechnicalResources.html

Page 29 if you want to look at the data sheets. They make no mention of this restriction you suggest. If it were true, they would say so.

If you have an 8GB stick and and 4GB stick, it is true that you will get 2x4GB interleaved and 4GB not. But with 2 8GB sticks (in the correct slots) you get full speed dual channel memory performance. Similarly 4 x 8GB stick - no problem.

EDIT: I think I may owe you an apology. I thought you were saying that you never get dual channel speeds with more than 8GB of memory. That's how I read it. If you were merely saying that you only get dual channel mode with the smaller of the two amounts in each channel, then yes, I agree.

Last edited:

Hede

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
Denmark
Just been on kingstons site and they now makes the HyperX PNP 1600mhz in 8GB sticks :D
I guess they will work as the 4GB sticks of the same ram works super in the 2011 mini.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
The specs are all there to see on intel.com mate.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/CoreTechnicalResources.html

Page 29 if you want to look at the data sheets. They make no mention of this restriction you suggest. If it were true, they would say so.

If you have an 8GB stick and and 4GB stick, it is true that you will get 2x4GB interleaved and 4GB not. But with 2 8GB sticks (in the correct slots) you get full speed dual channel memory performance. Similarly 4 x 8GB stick - no problem.

EDIT: I think I may owe you an apology. I thought you were saying that you never get dual channel speeds with more than 8GB of memory. That's how I read it. If you were merely saying that you only get dual channel mode with the smaller of the two amounts in each channel, then yes, I agree.
yes that is what I was saying. It is somewhat analogous to using a 250B and 500GB drive to make a raid array. You will only be interleaving on the first 250gb of that 500gb hard drive.

lbechdol

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
Mac-Mini and 16gigabyte ram

Funny, My older Mac-mini has had 16 gigabytes of memory since a month after I purchased it. I didn't buy it from Apple, however. I bought the additional memory from Memory Giant.

It's interesting that the mini-mac server has an option for 16 gigabytes although the only real difference between it and a normal mini-mac seem to be:

a. The Server software (on the apple store for $30.00)
b. The server has two disk drives where the normal mini has only one
c. Apple says the server will hold 16 gigs but the normal mini-mac cannot.

At any rate my mini-mac has 16 gigabytes of memory and works fine. I installed the memory myself.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.