Mac Mini and 24 inch display and other questions

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jeme, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jeme macrumors regular

OK - got a 13 inch MBP last week and I am digging this Mac thing. My question is will a mac mini have any trouble pushing a 24 inch display?

Basically I will use the machine for email, photos, web surfing etc.

Also will I notice any difference between the 2.0 and 2.26 processor? I am replacing a home built 2.4 Quad Core, 300GB Velociraptor and Nvidia 9800GT, I am going to part that machine out and sell the stuff on ebay.

Finally - I am considering the 2.0GB as I can get in so cheap and then upgrade to 4GB ram and a 500GB 7200 RPM HD.

One last question do you all think there will be any issues with putting a 7200 RPM drive in the mini? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

None at all. In fact, it'll drive two of them.

Yes, there is a difference, but whether you notice a difference will depend on the task you do.

Might as well save a few $$ and get the 500/5400 Scorpio Blue, if you're ok with WD drives.

3. jeme thread starter macrumors regular

OK- thanks. I think I can get the seagate 500GB 7200 RPM for about $129. Is the WD that much cheaper?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, the WD is cheaper and several reviews suggest it performs better than the Seagate because of its superior platter density (2x250 gb vs. 3x167 gb). Personally, I don't buy WD drives because of bad experiences with their customer/technical services, so I have only Seagate and Samsung drives.

5. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I have a question as well. Is anyone running the mac mini and apple's 24" LED cinema display? The mini uses a different power connector, so do you just let the displays mag safe hang loose? Is this awkward? Is there a better solution for a mac mini display?

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I'm using my Dell 2408wfp monitor with my 1.83ghz Mac Mini C2D and it's working great. I just need to stop being lazy and calibrate the colors because they don't look right.