Mac Mini and 24" L.E.D. Good Combination?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by gr81mgbgt, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not right now! You can't even use the display with anything but the new MacBooks. Nothing in the world.

Wait for the update at MacWorld. You'll get a FAR better Mini and Mini DisplayPort on it to use the display.

2. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

yes (i mean the new - yet to be un-announced-possibly avail. in jan. 09 one), if so, i would guess that it would look like the new unibody MB's in clamshell mode but thicker and smaller and about 1/3 size of MBP 15" - I strongly believe that aluminum will in-case the whole unit. it wouldn't look as good with current Mini (only if we get the adapter and if it is even possible to get - current mini does not have mini display port)- i have the current wireless KB with white keys - and it just doesn't look quiet right - seriously considering painting it black :D

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Rumors swirl that the Mini will get updated next month and the LED Cinema Display is about twice as much as I'd pay for a 24" monitor. I saw a 24" Samsung with A TV TUNER for $449.

4. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

Two questions......

Will the update make it completely compatible with the Apple Cinema Display L.E.D. 24" ?

Except for the keyboard and mouse and display, would you need anything else to go along with the mini?

Thanks in advance!

5. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Yes a good combination BUT......

It would be financially stupid to do it because at the price you will pay for both the mini and the display, you could just get a 24 in. iMac that has a faster processor and dedicated graphics.

6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

while i would normally agree with you in a heartbeat, I have a 24" iMac (aluminum) and the one thing i miss is having inputs on the iMac to use as a high definition screen. Such a nice vibrant glossy screen, I wish I would be able to play video games on it. (I don't have a nice tv because of space constraints)

all i have is a 23" symphonic tv, which is the worst quality tv i have ever seen, but it was $70 brand new at best buy 3-4 years ago.

7. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

So should i go for the 24" iMac or get a updated Mac Mini with the 24" cinema display?

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry but if you are talking about hooking a game console or such to the LED screen you are out of luck. There are not now (and probably never will be ) any HDMI->DP or DVI->DP or anything else that would let you hook you game console (or any source that is not DP or miniDP) to the display.

9. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

So should i go for the 24" iMac or get a updated Mac Mini with the 24" cinema display when compatible? imac better value?

10. Passive101 macrumors regular

They make HDMI to DVI and DVI to VGA adapters.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Get a new 24" iMac when they're released, along with the 24" Cinema Display. That way you have two matching size screens, and I can't recommend dual monitor enough.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 24" LED Cinema Display currently works with only three computers in the entire world–The MacBook line. It doesn't work with anything else right now and we don't know if it will work with anything new.