Mac Mini and a Belkin G+ MIMO - compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Mikrogen, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Mikrogen macrumors newbie

Hello,

I purchased a new Mac Mini(2ghz) direct from Apple recently and have found the wireless connection using AirPort to be pretty bad to say the least. I am on a 20meg UK Virgin Media connection but with AirPort I can only seem to reach around 2meg.

Before the Mac Mini I had a PC that used a Belkin G+ MIMO USB network adapter and with this setup I was getting more like 15meg. So I thought I would try using the G+ MIMO with the Mac. After installing the MIMO, latest Mac Belkin software and configuring network details everything works fine, getting about the same as the PC setup, around 15meg, however a few hours later the connection dies and if I try to reconnect using the Belkin software it gives me the error "The application Belkin Wireless USB quit unexpectedly". Rebooting doesn't help, uninstalling then re-installing doesn't make any difference, I still get the same crash error if I try to connect. At this point if I check Network preferences the G MIMO has given itself a 169 IP address.

However, if I uninstall then reinstall and plug the G MIMO into one of the other USB ports it works ok for a few hours. Then the same thing happens all over again with the crash error "The application Belkin Wireless USB quit unexpectedly".

Me being a Mac noob i haven't a clue why this would be happening, can anyone offer advice please?

2. Cantunis macrumors member

3. Mikrogen thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a G+ router, I have a G+ MIMO USB network adapter (wireless adapter), this is what I am trying to get working with my Mac.
    Sorry if that wasn't clear.

4. Cantunis macrumors member

Have you tried running it with the built-in wireless manager like you would do in windows ?

5. Mikrogen thread starter macrumors newbie

Under the Apple Network preferences, for some reason it assigns itself a 169 IP address!! It doesn't offer me any wireless networks to connect to.

6. Cantunis macrumors member

Wow thats weird man . Have you tried any other wireless adapter to see if it works?

7. Mikrogen thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this one does work temporarily. Like I said in the original post, it works for a few hours then stops and trying to reconnect crashes the Belkin software. If I uninstall then reinstall the Belkin driver/software and plug the MIMO into a different USB port it will work again for a few more hours. Then the same thing all over again! :mad:

AirPort works, its just a terribly slow connection by comparison to the MIMO connection.

I haven't tried any other wireless adapters. Being that I know the Belkin worked under Windows AND that Belkin supply Mac drivers I would have thought it would work OK.:(

8. Cantunis macrumors member

Well .. my 3 wireless adapters i had on my windows PC did the same until I updated my driver with the latest "Atheros" driver .

You may check your adapter's chipset and download the latest driver directly from the chipset maker's page which is much more updated than the one at Belkin's page