Mac mini and dual desktops

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mankymanning, Dec 9, 2009.

1. mankymanning macrumors regular

Does anyone know if i just stick a mini dvi dongle in the back of my March09 Mac mini in addition to a mini displayport connected to my TV, it will think there are two screens? or does it need to be connected to an actual display?

I want to be able to have Plex playing on one desktop on the TV through displayport but use VNC to connect to the "second" display/desktop which is there because of mini DVI... ?

2. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

yes, you can use both the mini-dvi and mini-display ports simultaneously. It will act as if there are two displays normally.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I'm not sure if the dongle is enough to activate the second display, but didn't your mini come with the dongle to allow you to give it a try? Maybe there is some kind of loopback connector that will pull high whatever pins that make it look like a monitor is there? Something like whatever is in a DVI switchbox that lets multiple input devices think they are continuously attached to the output device.

4. mankymanning thread starter macrumors regular

No it is a mini displayport dongle which comes with it I think, I could be wrong though, maybe that came with my MBP. It was a refurb so maybe that was just missing.

5. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Mini's come with Mini-DVI adapters, they come with Mini-DP adapters as a BTO. If you use both at the same time, they work as dual monitors. All yo have to do, is set up displays in Sys Pref.