Mac Mini and external Blu Ray Player...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JReynolds, Jul 4, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of buying the new Mac Mini. I plan to hook it up to my 52" 1080P LCDTV. Only problem is I've bought plenty of BLU-Rays and I'd like to use the Mac Mini as my MAIN SOURCE of entertainment on my TV...

I've found a few eternal blu ray players but they say you have to run the software in bootcamp via windows because OSX doesn't support blu ray.

Is there any work around?

Thanks for the help

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are other players that will do blu-ray under osx. I think one is mkv.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

mkv is a movie file container. Nothing to do with Blu-Ray, other than being a popular file format to rip Blu-Ray movies to.

To the OP: VLC will play Blu-Ray movies, but only ones without HDCP. If you want to play movies that has HDCP, you're out of luck. Windows is the only way to do it.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Just buy a cheap blu-ray player? I've seen a Magnavox one or something that was $99.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't think VLC can decrypt Blu-ray discs, either. So even if the disc is HDCP-free there's still the video AACS or BD+ decryption to overcome.

Provided one has a beefy Mac, one can use Make MKV's streaming server to send the Blu-ray video to VLC, which can then play it with 5.1 AC3 or DTS audio. My quad-core hackintoshes can, but my 2 gHz Core 2 Duo GMA950 Mini cannot.

6. cube macrumors G5

You can't play Blu-ray menus, BD-Live, or BD 3D on OS X.

7. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

Unfortunately, there is no blu-ray driver support Mac, simply buy a blu-ray player, I personally suggest ps3:D

8. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Almost any Blu-ray drive will work with Macs. You can play Blu-ray movies from the discs, you just don't get the BD menus.

10. mrinternet macrumors newbie

External Blu Ray Player USB on a Mac no Problem

:D

The catch is you can not watch a blu-ray movie on it.
    I have such a device and a dvd is fine, but it will not play a blu ray
    Running windows on the mac, same issue
    Networked with another PC (that has a blu ray) will not work again in windows or mac mode. Again dvd's are fine just not blu ray

So you can buy a dedicated MAC friendly external USB Blu Ray player and the mac will not allow it to play blu ray even in windows running blu ray player software. But a dvd is fine.