Mac Mini and PC peripherals advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr Baldman, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

Jul 7, 2008
    Nottingham UK
    Looking at purchasing a 2nd Hand Mac Mini purely for iPhone SKD development. (well thats my excuse for buying one :p)

I come from a windows based web/desktop development background and have never bought a Mac before.

I only have one desk, so want to be able to switch between the Mac Mini and my desktop PC with minimal disruption, so have a couple of questions...

I currently run a DVI samsung monitor, will the Mac Mini be able to run through this without any adapters? i see a 'DVI looking port' on the back, is it standard?

also - keyboard and mouse. I love the Mac keyboard/mouse, can i use these on my PC aswell and vice versa?
  2. 92jlee macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2009
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

Well done on choosing to convert! lol.

It depends what mac mini you are buying -

I wouldnt recommend a G4

I have a core duo 1.66 and that has dvi out

the newer 2009+ models do not have dvi out - they need a converter - I cant remember exactly what they are.. mini dvi possibly.. double check on the apple site.

The keyboard and mouse can be used on a pc yes, but things like the @ and " will be swapped and the eject and all the f keys wont work as they are shown to.

I think you can install the boot camp drivers to a windows pc to let the buttons like volume and eject work. Worth giving it a go.

Good luck!
  3. Mr Baldman thread starter macrumors member

Mr Baldman

Jul 7, 2008
    Nottingham UK
    cheers :cool:

it has to be an intel based CPU anyway as the iPhone SDK only works on that.

thanks for all the info!
  4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

Feb 20, 2009
    East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
    The current Minis (2009) have both mini DVI and mini Display Port video outs. Both will require an adapter to work with regular DVI. I would just pick the one with the cheapest adapter. The previous model Minis (2007) had regular DVI out. As stated earlier, I believe the keyboard will work if you load the Boot Camp drivers.
  5. phairphan macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2005
    Reject Beach
    Minis come with a mini-DVI-to-DVI adaptor, so there's no need to purchase one. This port can't handle dual-link, so if you have a 30" monitor you'll need to buy the adaptor for mDP.