Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

I figured it was single digit but didn't think it'd be 1%. It also says Mac pro makes up 3%, which is also surprising.
I’m a bit surprised that the mini and the studio are equivalent. Maybe not so close until the values are rounded to an integer.

Also surprised that the MacBook Pro outsells the MacBook Air. I’d have guessed roughy the opposite for those two compared to one another.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
It makes sense. I am one of just a few out of hundreds I speak with in the dev world who have a Mac Mini. It's all MBA/MBP. There are a couple of Studios or Mac Pros, but very few.

When I say hundreds, that is a group of people in chat where we poll what hardware everyone has. So, accurate numbers even if it is a small group.

Reactions: picpicmac

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Since the performance gap that was a traditional barrier to laptops is now well and truly over, I'd be shocked if the MacBook lines aren't selling. Compact, lightweight, use anywhere, good battery life... it's switched from 'you really only get a portable if you need portability' to 'you only buy a desktop if you don't'.

But that differential doesn't feel at all right. And since CIRP don't detail their data sources or how they extrapolate from whatever data they think they have, this is no more trustworthy than a politician at reelection time.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm very happy with my M2 Studio Max and plan on never getting a laptop again.

The battery in a laptop is a wear item and will eventually swell and cause issues. It's easy to say replace it until you realize that Apple stops supporting battery replacements and nobody else wants to touch it due to how time consuming and difficult it is to replace.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
No idea how they came up with these numbers, the article states/reminds that Apple does not share the actual breakdown of Mac sales per model and this firm, Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, does not reveal neither its sources, nor its methodology.

Notebook sales have been more important than desktop ones for several years in the overall market, but that's about it.

Perhaps Mini and Studio sales are that low, but it would surprising to see Mac Pro sales be more important than both of them combined for example.

Anyway, it's not reliable information.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

I figured it was single digit but didn't think it'd be 1%. It also says Mac pro makes up 3%, which is also surprising.
I find it hard to believe Mac Pro sells more than Mac mini. This is a somewhat questionable source that may be an "industry analyst" but doesn't detail even vaguely how they come up with their numbers.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Mac Pro being higher percentage than mini or Studio makes sense (at least while the folks that are going to switch to the Studio in light of what the 2023 Mac Pro ended up doing so). Home users are using desktops less and less, so the only folks setting up a Mac desktop in their home are the ones that know they explicitly need (and/or prefer) that kind of Mac and have actual desk space for it. In offices, studios, media shops, you have desks, and if you're not taking your (most likely) 16-inch MacBook Pro powerhouse with you, you're probably working at a Mac Studio or Mac Pro. The Mac mini being at such a low number would, sadly, make sense. They're great machines though.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I find it hard to believe Mac Pro sells more than Mac mini. This is a somewhat questionable source that may be an "industry analyst" but doesn't detail even vaguely how they come up with their numbers.
Well, for a start it doesn’t say whether the figures are counting unit sales or revenue - since a base Mac Pro costs 10x as much as a base Mac Mini, that would fatten up the “Mac Pro” wedge nicely. In fact, if it were based on revenue that would explain a lot (it would tend to hide the expected “cheaper sells more” effect).

This “new research” looks very much like data that has been posted periodically in these forums for some time, and leads to the same discussion about its validity. Not so much the laptop vs desktop breakdown - which seems plausible - but the relationships between the various desktop models do seem odd. Of course, with no details about how the figures are calculated, they’re pretty worthless.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I don't know, most people have one computer they use for years. If you are looking at buying a new computer, and you know it will be your only computer for many years, you'd likely go for one that is more versatile than a desktop.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I'm very happy with my M2 Studio Max and plan on never getting a laptop again.

The battery in a laptop is a wear item and will eventually swell and cause issues. It's easy to say replace it until you realize that Apple stops supporting battery replacements and nobody else wants to touch it due to how time consuming and difficult it is to replace.
I get minimum >7 years out of my MBPs and have not had to replaced a battery since circa 2008. I will probably own a Studio at some point soon but only because I will always first have a laptop. Mobility is essential.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
It makes sense. I am one of just a few out of hundreds I speak with in the dev world who have a Mac Mini. It's all MBA/MBP. There are a couple of Studios or Mac Pros, but very few.

When I say hundreds, that is a group of people in chat where we poll what hardware everyone has. So, accurate numbers even if it is a small group.
No insult intended, but yours is a statistically irrelevant group.

enb141

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I don't know, most people have one computer they use for years. If you are looking at buying a new computer, and you know it will be your only computer for many years, you'd likely go for one that is more versatile than a desktop.
Wrong, my first computer is a desktop, my second computer is another desktop, just my 6th computer is a laptop, so no way if I had to choose one computer that would be a laptop.

Last edited:

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I mean for schools, yeah I can see them buying more MacBook airs for faculty and students, but for computer labs and staff that aren’t mobile, the mini and the studio are essential. I can’t imagine that they sell 1 percent of minis compared to MBPs.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.