Mac Mini and Watching Flash Content

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by downingp, Sep 13, 2012.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I have an HTPC setup using a latest gen Mac mini and a 50" Panasonic plasma TV. I have really not had any problems with my setup and watching movies via Plex. I have, however noticed that when I am streaming flash content, especially sports (watchESPN, MLBTV) there is a little bit of jitter with fast moving objects (football, baseball). I also noticed when streaming ESPN, the scrolling bar at the bottom has a lot of jitter as well. I have Comcast cable Internet and have a fast connection so I don't think it's due to my Internet speed. Is it normal for fast action using flash to have a little jitter when streaming? Anything I could do to eliminate and smooth out playback?

Thanks in advance.

2. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Based on the lack of responses, I suspect this is probably normal?

3. JAT macrumors 603

Flash sucks.
    Flash on Mac sucks more.

Every now and then they put out a version that is slightly better. If you find one that seems to be better, don't upgrade.

4. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I were to install a virtual machine on my Mac mini and use flash through windows, would that be any better?

5. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Just saw this thread now. FWIW, I have a mid-2009 Mac Mini and use it all the time to stream figure skating via Flash. I haven't noticed the jitteryness you describe (and I *do* see something similar when I use Slingplayer, especially for tennis matches where the white court lines jump).

Is your connection wired? If not that'd be my first suggestion.

6. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have a completely wired connection and get pretty good speed from Comcast.
    I notice that most of the jitter comes from fast action (football player running the ball, pitcher pitching, etc).
    To compare, I have the WatchESPN app and watching football on my iPad wirelessly on my home network is crystal clear with no jitter.