mac mini and wd my book usb drive problem

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Xilbus, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Xilbus macrumors newbie

Good Afternoon everyone,

My dad purchased a WD mybook for mac 111A 1tera drive. He wanted me to transfer some movies over. all are mkv and avi. I have so my pc is not able to view the drive.

I pluged the drive to my WD LIVE TV media player and the WD LIVE saw the drive and its content so i transfered all the movies via the WD LIVE.

The WD live sees all the movies and is able to play them. So I bring the drive over to my dads. He plugs the drive on his mac mini , unable to see the files, only the folders.

Bring the drive back at my place. I see the movies and is able to play them

also from my pc i cant go on the network, connect to the wd live media player and see the mybook drive and i can see all the movies there.

Why cant the mac see the folders but not the movies?. If i click on more info on the drive , the mac sees that its 700Gigs full.

Thank you for your help

2. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi Xilbus,
    you have to install "Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X" or something similar on the Mac in order to read & write to 'NTFS' file system (meaning win based HDs).
    That's how they came even claiming they're for Mac OS...
    As you can see I have the 'WD My Book' and 'WD Elements' - both 2Tb and some of my movies there:

Attached Files:

3. Xilbus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Stan,

Is this the same as NTFS-3G driver? because this is a Mac based usb drive (mybook for mac)
    i installed NTFS-3G driver on the mac mini and it still did not see the movies or did not event see the drive because its not a ntfs drive. My dad put some music before giving me his mac mybook drive and those he has no problem viewing from his mac.

I think the ntfs driver is for drives that are not mac ready like the element?

his usb mybook is mac formated but i transfered files from my wd element via the wd live tv media player

Thanks

4. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi again,
    yes, I got the 'My Book' for Mac too, but it was formated as NTFS (as you can see at the bottom of the screen shot.
    I found that after I already coppied items there for 20 hrs so I did live it as it was.
    Yes that's the same as what I suggested (maybe a little better since it's not a free app.)
    On the Paragon app. you can enable & disable the extension & you have to restart for that.
    If this doesn't work then the last think to do is re-format the MyBook to MacOS format & you'd have to re-copy all the movies again...

Attached Files: