Mac Mini and Windows 7 PC with Synergy

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mattburley1993, Dec 25, 2009.

1. mattburley1993 macrumors newbie

I've just got a Mac Mini to use as my secondary computer and have my mouse and keyboard connected to a Dell Inspiron 530 and want to share the keyboard and mouse via Synergy. I have set it up correctly, I am sure, using SynergyKM on the Mac and Synergy on the PC. The PCs Synergy status is "Waiting for clients" but the Mac's SynergyKM status is "Connected" though the setup does not work.

I'm not sure what's happened. It's not connected to another computer as no other computers in my network have Synergy installed. The computers are linked using a local ethernet connection (NO internet connection) and also a wireless N connection (with internet) so there is no reason why the computers cannot see eachother. Infact, I've linked my PCs hard disk to the Mac using the network facility.

I can't do it the other way round (with the Mac as the host) because it would not be viable to leave the Mac on all day (with my PC).

Thanks for your help, I look forward to any suggestions/fixes!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you remember to not only set up the Win host and the Mac client's names, but also did you define the screen edge relationships that allow the mouse to go from one screen to the other?

On the Windows server config tool, it's this screen:

[​IMG]

3. mattburley1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your prompt informative reply.

I have done that, and as a long time user of Synergy with my other machines (both PCs, this is the first time using a Mac with Synergy) I have no idea if/where i've gone wrong.

Thanks!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, Firewall problems is the other one that comes to mind...

Also, FWIW, I've found (my setup sounds similar to you, except that these two PCs both run XP) that the one problem with running Synergy between two computers when one is put to sleep is that it is not particularly quick to connect. My Eee serves to my EeeBox, and when I turn my EeeBox on, it takes quite a long time to connect the two.

5. mattburley1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yo,

Thanks for your time. Reinstalled Synergy on both machines and it works perfectly!

Thanks for your time, nevertheless!