Mac Mini + Apple TV

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cah87, Jan 10, 2008.

1. cah87 macrumors regular

Has anyone else ever thought about this. With mac mini sales at a fraction of apples sales and Apple TV being just a little over priced. Well lets face it they are both over priced. How about a Mac mini with an hdmi out and apple tv characteristics. It makes perfect since. I was wanting to buy an apple tv but it would make more sense to just hook up a mac mini with dvi to hdmi. I just think they should merge the two together. Any thoughts?

2. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

This is pretty obvious, and a lot of people with some tech know-how use the mini for their media center pc. PLUS the mini can get web access, and with all the video content coming through non-Apple web sites, that's important. PLUS the mini has a DVD player.

Apple needs to do something with ATV if they hope to sell any. Right now, it's just an iPod with better video output but no built-in screen and not portable.

3. ADent macrumors 6502a

What is missing from a mini as compared to an AppleTV?

4. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

Component output - Mini can't do component without a transcoder. Doesn't mean much to some but for those that need it it's a dealbreaker...

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I always see component grouped with HDMI, VGA or both on the back of TVs. Are there standalone component TVs?

6. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

Mostly it's the earlier generation (pre-DVI/HDMI) HDTVs. Some have VGA and component - others have just component.