Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hndn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
is missing...

Hi,
Here's my problem: connect mac mini to TV (Philips, DVI only)
After browsing this forum, I bought the USB/DVI adapter from monoprice & HDMI - DVI cable = no signal available. I tried it on 2 TV's, same thing. It probably a bad one :)
I'm now connected via mini DVI - DVI adapter & DVI cable to TV. Philips TV is not recognized. Available resolutions are in the attachment, none shows the menu bar nor dock. I searched & all mentioned about the "arrangement tab." Help please.
Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 96

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Search for HTPC postings.

So the picture shows up, but the top and bottom are cut off?

I would think if the mini will do 1080i, then you need to set your TV for no overscan mode.

hndn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Search for HTPC postings.

So the picture shows up, but the top and bottom are cut off?

I would think if the mini will do 1080i, then you need to set your TV for no overscan mode.
There's not an option of "overscan" :(

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
How do I connect an Intel Mac mini to a television?

How to connect your Intel-based Mac mini to a television depends greatly on the type of television you have (and the Mac mini you have as well). Apple provides a helpful document entitled "Using Mac mini with a Television" on the Apple Support Site.

The Apple Support Document notes that the Intel Mac mini can be connected to digital HDTV sets via DVI, HDMI, and VGA/RGB [emphasis added]:

- A standard DVI cable can be attached from the [pre "Early 2009"] Mac mini [models] to an HDTV, supporting resolutions up to 1920x1080. [The "Early 2009" models can be connected to a DVI equipped television via DVI by using a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter].

- HDTVs with HDMI inputs can be connected to [a pre "Early 2009"] Mac mini with a DVI to HDMI adapter. A DVI to HDMI adapter will relay video but not audio from the computer. [The "Early 2009" models can be connected to an HDMI equipped television by using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter]. . . [To connect audio], the Belkin PureAV HDMI to DVI cable can be ordered from the Apple Store [and numerous other resellers].

- The DVI to VGA adapter that was included with your [pre "Early 2009] Mac mini can be used along with a VGA cable to connect [the Mac] to an HDTV with an analog PC-input (VGA/RGB), supporting resolutions 1920x1080. [The "Early 2009" models can be connected to a VGA equipped television by using a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter].

The same document provides instructions on how to connect pre "Early 2009" Intel Mac mini models to an analog television with the Apple DVI-to-Video Adapter via Composite or S-Video:

- Composite is the most widely available video input on traditional analog televisions. It delivers acceptable quality at resolutions up to 800x600 on most televisions.

- S-Video separates the analog video signal into separate channels, providing better quality than Composite. S-Video is best used with a resolution of 800x600.

and still not all televisions are suitable for connecting a computer
best indication for computer support is a vga port , that does not mean you need to connect to vga most good tv's offer more options like dvi, hdmi ...
but if there is a vga port then its certainly suitable for connecting a computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.