Mac Mini as a Christmas Gift... should I?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kbrain2929, Nov 22, 2007.

1. kbrain2929 macrumors regular

kbrain2929

I'm wanting to get my girl friend a mac mini. But with all the rumors flying around that it is reaching the end of it's life, I'm contemplating whether to buy now, or wait until after MacWorld when something new may be introduced. So, I'm asking you... should I buy now. *BTW: she loves cutting edge* or wait and see what happens. In other words, do you think the Mac Mini is "dying soon"?:apple:

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I just acquired one for free last week. It was a first gen Mac Mini. I upgraded the RAM to 1GB and installed Leopard on it I'm surprised at the speed of the thing. I could only imagine how well the new ones handle. I would say do it, if you're not wanting to spend more than that. If you have the cash, I would do the iMac of course. But I'm quite impressed with the Mac Mini.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'd be surprised if the Mini was just cut out without a replacement, but the iMac is much nicer IMO...

4. kbrain2929 thread starter macrumors regular

kbrain2929

I agree... but I ain't got enough for an iMac. Plus, she wants a mac mini. She thinks its "cute" Go figure. :rolleyes: :apple:

5. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

LOL @ the "cute" thing. That's great.

It's a good machine. I'd be a bit worried about them releasing something new, but not too worried. Between an upgraded Mac Pro and the fabled ultra-portable, I'm not sure Apple has the resources left over the replace a computer that probably isn't very profitable / popular for them.

Plus if she thinks it's "cute" then she probably won't care if they release something new.

All in all, do it. I can think of no greater gesture of love than to bestow upon someone else the joys of owning a Mac. ;)

6. kbrain2929 thread starter macrumors regular

kbrain2929

I get what you are saying, but that's where I get into the conflict... she only wants the newest. (My kinda girl!) Plus, she'll be a first time switcher. So I thought it would go over good. IDK... I just don't wanna wait until the last minute, then try to run out and find one. Here in KY, we only have one Apple Store, and it's very conventially located 3.5 miles from my house. I have to be Apple's besy friend. :) lol. :apple:

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If she "only wants the newest" and technology from "the cutting edge" then I hate to say it, but the Mini is neither. I don't want to discourage you from buying an awesome gift (I'd love to receive a Mini myself), but the only new/best thing that the Mini has going these days is that it comes pre-installed with Leopard.

However, since you won't be getting an iMac or MacBook, the Mini is a good machine for what it is. If she really does want one, I'd suggest that you watch the Refurb store for a mid- to well-spec'd Core 2 Duo mini. You can then spend a little time and $ later to add RAM.

Something to consider: does your GF already have all the parts needed? Don't forget to factor in the cost of a good monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. if she doesn't yet have them.

8. kbrain2929 thread starter macrumors regular

kbrain2929

So, do you think an iMac would be better? She doesn't know it yet, but a "Ring" will be included in the box. :) I'm taking the plunge!

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Congratulations! I myself got engaged in late August.

I would say that an iMac would certainly be a better long term investment, and will have more bells and whistles than a current Mac Mini. Again, this isn't to say that a Mini won't suit your needs -- they're good little machines, but simply out of date, and not cutting edge.

If you do find you've got enough money for the iMac, it will be worth the investment compared to a Mini.

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

I think the mini bashing happens way too much on this forum. My GF thinks my mini is the cutest computer in the world. I got it for use as a server, thinking it would not hold its own as a computer. It ended up being the Mac that is on the most, and used the most, though it is surrounded by more powerful and expensive company.

I have mine hooked up to a 23" ACD, and it is an absolutely fantastic combo.

A mini (get a 1.83 C2D refurb, I did and I love it) plus a cheaper 24" (can be had not on sale for around $400), and you have a $1000 computer after KB and mouse that will be more than fast enough for any "normal" computer task.

If it gets too slow, it is an excuse to get a new one, and you can keep the mini as a home server of HTPC, etc...

11. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

Mini is a great computer, with a unique form factor

Does your girlfriend know the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo? Does she know about FSB speeds? If not, then she'll likely see the mini as an elegantly designed machine in a unique form factor. She might think its cute.

The bashing of the mini is mainly led by "spec whores" who look at the specs and sneer. Yes, based on the specs the machine is not a great value, per se, but it's still the cheapest way into the OS X world, and is a great home theater pc option.

Good luck, in any case.

12. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I hope the talk of Mini bashing isn't in response to my comments. I recognize that the Mini is a good system, has a nice design and look, and is a great option for those not looking to spend too much or who don't need the latest and greatest. I was simply noting that it's hardly the "cutting edge" computer the OP mentioned in the first post