Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Bought a Used Mac mini (late 2014 with 1.4 i5, 4gb RAM and 512GB storage). I would like to set it up as a Media server with my Apple TV. I tried with Jellyfin but couldn't handle Music files with it. What I have in mind is like iTunes, where I can store both movies and music, create playlists, arrange albums etc. How do I do it?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I am using the same Mini as a media server, but I use an old 500gb USB3 SSD as a boot drive and a 4tb USB3 SSD as as media drive. I'm running Mojave with iTunes and family sharing. Also use regular file sharing for copying files and screen sharing to access from another mac.

This works really well for me, I have about a 2tb iTunes library with around 1200 videos and thousands of songs. I access it with two Apple TV's, another Mac, an iPad and iPhone. True, Mojave is no longer supported and iTunes has been discontinued, but it all still works.

BTW, regarding playlists, shared video playlists work fine on the Mini itself and my two AppleTV's. But shared playlists don't work with the TV app on my other Mac. It shows the playlist, but it appears to be empty. And iOS has never supported shared video playlists, so they don't even show on my iPhone or iPad. Shared music playlists work properly across all devices however.

Reactions: Kottu

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Try Plex.

I am using a headless 2006 Mac Pro as a Plex server, and have no issues. The only issues I have had in the past was corrected by using a wired Ethernet connection to the Mac Pro rather than a wireless.

I plan on replacing my Mac Pro with my spare M1 Mac Mini soon, but if I didn’t care about the energy usage, I would just stick with the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.