Mac Mini as a Media Server

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ryanflucas, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ryanflucas macrumors regular

ryanflucas

My uncle has lent me his new Mac Mini for a month while he finishes moving. He wants me to set it up as a media server. He used to use an item called the Tvixbox but it recently died and purchased the Mac Mini as a replacement.

What would be the easiest way to rip full dvd discs to the system, and play them on a TV? He has the cables to hook this up to an analog tv, but plans on buying a LCD TV to replace it. What applications would make this process the simplest? Could this be done using the Apple TV?

Hardware: Mac Mini 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 80GB Hard Disk, 8X Superdrive, Mac OS 10.10, iLife 08 & iWork 08. He has a newertech ministack v2 with a 500GB harddisk attached via firewire.

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To rip and such mac the ripper and handbrake. But Apple TV would certainly make life easier not to mention, faster I think.

3. balahir macrumors member

You can also just copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD (which you own, of course) to a hard disk and then play the folder using Apple DVD player or VLC. Connect to the LCD with a DVI-HDMI cable and to a receiver with an optical cable.

If you want to set it up as a more advanced media center, check this thread out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=343725