Mac Mini as an Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Adokimus, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I realize this is a dumb question, but I don't know the answer. I was debating buying a new :apple:tv, but I would rather cough up the extra change and get the mini to use with my entertainment center. My question though, is if I could use the mini effectively as an :apple:tv? I don't believe I could use the "Take 2" software on the mini, but through iTunes would I have the same capabilities? Would the video and sound quality be as high of a standard despite the lack of an HDMI output? Would it work at all, or are the devices too different?

Thanks!

Ado

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

One thing that comes to mind is that currently only the AppleTV can rent HD movies. Not sure if that's an issue for you. :confused:

One advantage to the mini is that it doesn't require a widescreen HD TV. I know you can plug the AppleTV into a 4:3 TV (assuming it takes component or HDMI), but everything's too boxed in for my personal preferences.

Depending on your TV, you may need a software program to put the mini into a video resolution that it doesn't normally do. I can't remember the name of these tools, but I"m sure someone else will note them. :)

3. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

The Mini has a DVI output, so you grab a DVI to HDMI converter, and voila you can plug it into your TV.

Mini has Optical Audio out via a mini optical inside the 1/8th" jack.

The Mini has front row, and with the addition of Perian, front row can play almost any video file. Just slap the video in your movies folder and play it. The apple TV can only play movies that will play in standard itunes/quicktime.

4. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

HD rentals are really ONLY through :apple:tv? I can't access them through iTunes? HD rentals were part of the reason I was saving up for a MBP with the Hi-Def screen...

Bogus.

5. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Yes, that's true. Count your blessings though, we JUST got TV shows here in canada on itunes...

6. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

get a mini, you wont regret it. :apple: TV is cool, but its a waste of money.. :eek:

7. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Thanks for the advice. I've been saving up for a MBP, and my tax rebate should make me all set for that. In the meantime, with my money tied up in the MBP, I'm going to wait for the dust to settle on the :apple:tv "Take 2" & mac mini front.

What I really want is a 2.2Ghz Santa Rosa Mac Mini with an HDMI connection and a 250 GB HDD option. Yeah, I'm asking for a bit, but I don't believe any of it is unrealistic (especially given the price). Oh, and HD rentals through iTunes. The buyer's guide says it's time, so it must be, right? Right??

;)

8. dbam987 macrumors regular

I don't think thats asking for much at all. All these are available today, and the Mac Mini can fit it all in. Add to that list the Santa Rosa chipset and Intel X3100 (or preferrably NVidia 8400) graphics and I'm all for the Mini right now (I must have mentioned this at least a dozen times on several forums now :p).