Mac Mini as Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Richard8655, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

I know Mac Mini can be a great (and expensive) replacement for Apple TV. But I use ATV for its streaming channels, not to watch movies or videos in my iTunes library.

So, I don't see how to access Apple TV streaming channels via iTunes. For example, I'm interested in streaming Sky News (available through Apple TV), but in iTunes from the Mini that's only an app intended for iPad or iPhone.

I'm probably missing something obvious.

2. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I'm pretty sure that most of the 'apps' on Apple TV are not replicated like-for-like in iTunes itself. As the Apple TV is more of an 'appliance', its apps save you from having to enter URLs etc - which is what is more expected of the user when using a fully fledged computer such as the Mac mini.

3. thepixelpusher macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

I use my Mac Mini to store and run iTunes since AppleTV is not yet equipped to store content. maybe that will change. I'm betting AppleTV will at least run games in the next revision.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i miss the bundled remote controls and front row.

if apple can afford the overhead of including a remote control with a $99 apple tv, then why can't they go back to including one with a $600 to $900 mac mini

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you want to stream Sky News, then you can do that with Safari on the Mini, but you have to control the Mini. I do this by using VNC. I have the VNC server running on the Mini and the VNC client running on my iPhone. I move the Mini's cursor around using the iPhone's touch screen. Works fine for me. The other trick is to "wake-up" the Mini when it has gone dark. This I can do with the iOS app "Files Connect". Files Connect will list the Bonjour clients - the Mini will be one of these.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I'm probably not understanding you correctly but the ATV is basically streaming what is normally web content. So if I using a Mini as an ATV replacement instead of going to the Netflix app on the ATV I would goto netflix.com on a browser. Same goes for HBO, Hulu, etc etc...

Or in your case new.sky.com/us then just watch and read the content.

You're just using a computer on your television.