Mac mini as backup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aaj1, Jan 22, 2011.

1. aaj1 macrumors newbie

HOw could I utilize my older Mac Mini as backup device to my new iMac (I also use Airport Extreme) ?
    Thanks

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just set it for file sharing, create a directory, and make it shared on your network. I thought of doing this with an older mini (a g4), but the disk is just too small (80gb) so I decided not to bother. You could also attach it via firewire in target disk mode.

In the end I simply bought a 1TB external and connected it to my iMac via firewire.

3. aaj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks old-wiz. My mac mini is really old and not wireless enabled so I guess I should try to connect to my imac by firewire directly. Once connected how do I proceed?
    Could connection be made with an ethernet cable?

4. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

You can use an ethernet... easiest to get a better quality/speed switch... the mac mini may only be 100base but if they are both gigabit... get a small gigabit switch.
    Do you have a wireless router? Maybe one that has extra ethernet ports on it? then just attach the mini to that and your wireless iMac will see it.

Hope that helps.

5. aaj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Walter
    I confess to be totally new to this. I have ethernet connected my old mini to the airport router and have not a clue how to proceed. Basically I just want to back-up my music files and a few others on the mini - rather than throw it away, use it as an external storage device.