Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesedavies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
This is my first post, I hope I am sending it to the right place. I want to use a new mac mini (not yet purchased) as a compute node to run day and night on some modeling code. I don't want to connect a keyboard or monitor - but I have access to these to set things up. The model accesses data on the internet, and I want to connect (wired or wireless) to my cable modem to get at these. Once set up and running I just need ssh access to see how things are going and scp to copy stuff onto and off of the mini. I have a MacBook that I plan to use for this purpose, that I want to connect wirelessly to the mini. Is this possible? Is it difficult? I don't really want to shell out for expensive remote desktop software when I only need terminal type access to the mini - to check on progress, copy stuff on/off and compile programs. Thanks in advance, Jim.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
You can use any Mac for that. Enable remote login in the system preferences under sharing to enable ssh remote logins and thus things like scp. Use screen to run the different jobs so you can detach and resume the session at a later time. You can hookup the mini to the modem by wired or wireless and let the MacBook access the machine. If you want you can also connect the mini to the modem by wire and use the wifi to create a new wireless network. Downside to this is you can only use WEP to secure it, no WPA or WPA2 :mad: Because of that using a wireless router is a better choice.

jamesedavies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Thanks jyn(?)

The question mark is because I got logged out and am not sure of your "handle" - the post reply window just came up. Thanks for your massively swift reply - I feel confident now to go spend the bucks for a new mac mini. Thanks again. One day I might be able to usefully reply to other people's requests - I hope so. Cheers, Jim.

jamesedavies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Ubunto on mac mini via VMware - any problems

Will it matter if I am running my model under Ubuntu via VMware in terms of ssh-ing in to the mac mini? A good question might be, "why the hell would you be doing that!" The answer is that my model comes only as a Linux executable distribution. So why not get a Linux box for it? Because I like the footprint of the mac mini - and I seem to move houses often (don't ask). Maybe dyn could answer - I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Jim.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Two ways to access stuff - VNC into MacOS (aka screen sharing) or whatever Ubuntu uses - SSH sounds good.

The Mac mini needs some setting (Bluetooth IIRC) to boot w/o keyboard and mouse (it thinks it is supposed to pair with missing BT KB & mouse).

jamesedavies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Thanks ADent

I am going to spend my cash and give it all a try. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it all pans out. Cheers, Jim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.