Mac Mini as Home Computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfer99, Feb 3, 2008.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

I know this question is very subjective but I figured I would ask...Most of my work is done on my macbook and I travel alot so I dont really need a home computer but just recently I have needed a home desktop for very basic use (surf the internet, word, excel, iphoto, itunes). Do you guys think that a mac mini would work well for me. Also what is the most I can upgrade my ram and hard drive on a mac mini?

Also I noticed that Apple monitors are so much more expensive than other brands of monitors. Is the price worth it? I was planning on getting dual monitors.

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hello :D

The Mac mini will certainly do you fine. I use mine for everything you've just listed.

I have the CD model with 2GB RAM. I'm not sure how much the new ones can hold, but honestly can't see any reason why you'd need more than 2GB. The HD is a laptop drive afaik, so whatever is available... or just add an external.

As for monitors, Apple Cinema Displays are expensive, yes. You can get very similar quality, often with extra ports for USB etc, from the likes of Dell for less.

For me it's mostly about aesthetics. No monitor looks better with a Mac than an ACD, and that's why I have a 23" ACD on my mini. If you don't care about the way ACD's look then just get whatever :) I love the picture quality of the ACD's, but again you're not doing anything that would warrant it as a necessity. Note that the mini only has one DVI out, so I'm not sure how you'd go about using dual monitors... better to just get a nice 23" IMHO :D

Enjoy your Mac mini! :)

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It would be a great computer for those things you have listed, I do all of them on my mini with ease.

At the moment, the biggest 2.5" SATA HD that fits the mini is 320GB, which you would either have to fit yourself or pay someone to install it. Apple only offer a 160GB option. I've got 4GB of RAM fitted in mine even though the system can only use a maximum of 3.3GB. More on RAM here.

I think Apple monitors are great myself and use a 20" ACD with my mini, but you are the only one who can decide if it is worth the extra money for your needs. And you are going to be out of luck with dual monitors, the mini can only connect to one but will easily power a 23"/24"/27" monitor.

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

mac mini should be fine for what you mentioned

and i cannot see how you'll do the dual monitors, or why you need them, and can onboard graphics support it anyway?

and on the RAM issue, with non-santa rosa C2D's...i heard leopard's 64-bit -ness allows it to use the 4GB, maybe i'm wrong

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

+1 vote for the Mini for your needs. Should do you fine. A Mini will probably replace my aged PC when it finally goes.

If you find that you'll have to buy monitor(s), keyboard, mouse, etc, you're moving into lower-end iMac territory. If that's the case, check out the refurb products in the Apple store.