Mac Mini as HTPC

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by supachicken, Aug 27, 2007.

1. supachicken macrumors member

supachicken

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at building a HTPC and just considering my options. Just got to work out if it is a better option to use a Mac Mini or build a generic box up for a HTPC.

Can the Mac Mini handle playback of two HDTV channels at once and would it cope with recording to HDTC channels at once using EyeTV? If it can I think I will opt for the Mac Mini.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I see that you're in Australia, so the HDHomeRun is not an option for you. Too bad.

As far as the mini being used as a HTMac, I would say that it's capable. I'm not sure that it can handle playback of two HD streams at the same time, but I'm sure that it can record two streams at the same time. Recording is very easy as there is no conversion going on. It's just very dependent on Hard Drive speed, but the 5400RPM job in the mini should be up to the task. If not, get a Firewire 7200RPM drive and you're set.

Do they have dual tuner EyeTV's in Australia? I know the UK has the EyeTV diversity or something like that.

ft

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You're much better off in terms of HTPC function and tuner function with a Vista Premium / Ultimate installation with something like a Hauppauge HVR-1800. Front Row (even with the EyeTV integration) is not a replacement for a proper HTPC.