Mac mini as media centre issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ben1l, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

Hi

I've just bought a Mac Mini and am planning to run it as a media centre. I'm connecting it up to a 2 year old Samsung LCD TV(40 inch, Model No-LE40N87). Video is looking fantastic (connected via Mini DVI to DVI converter then DVI to HDMI cable.

My issue is that I can not get audio to play through the TV. I am connecting audio via the audio out (3.5mm jack) on the Mini to the "PC in" connection on the TV.

But I don't know how to tell the TV to take video from HDMI and audio from the 3.5mm jack.

Any suggestions ?
    Please!

2. azdunerat macrumors regular

There is more than likely no way for you to assign the audio to the tv. Some older TV's allowed you to hook up analogue audio to an HDMI input but because HDMI carries both they quit doing that.

However a company is releasing a MDP with USB audio interface to HDMI adapter that will carry both the audio and video to your TV

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/07/prweb2622184.htm

Not sure about price but it is supposed to be available August.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

This issue is why I went VGA when hooking up my mini (it was the older style mini that came with a DVI to VGA adapter). Video still looks great.

Unless you have an HDMI input that has a sound input with it (and some TVs with multiple HDMI inputs do have this on one of them), when you use the PC in sound port you need to use the PC in video port. If your TV has DVI in that port might have matching RCA jacks.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Getting a audio receiver will eliminate the problem and give you surround sound in the process.