Mac Mini as TV recording machine

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Reclzz, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Reclzz macrumors member

Hey all

I got offered a 2010 Mac Mini 2.4 ghz machine with 2 usb tv tuners for cable tv i got standard tv with a couple of hd channels unencrypted

Will i be able to record 2 tv programs at the same time or?

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Cheers
    Bo Handskemager Sørensen

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I would say it depends on the programs you use to record them. If you are able to watch two programs from the two tuners on one screen at the same time, and both have the capability to record, I dont see why not. Assuming you arent trying to record both in a 1080 resolution. It just kind of depends on the setup.

3. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Should be enough power. I record multiple 720p streams on a low end i3 and the system doesn't even break a sweat. The streams are only about 15mbps, so you don't need much power to capture.

Hopefully you don't have Time Warner, they put the Copy Once flag on every channel, so the only way to record is with Windows Media Center.

4. Reclzz thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for the replies

I live in Denmark in northern Europe and the TV channels are either 720 og 576 and don't think we can get time warner

Can it be remotely controlled and or can i stream recorded shows to my ipad or iphone when i'm home?

Cheers
    Bo Handskemager Sørensen

5. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

I use EyeTV on my mini to watch and record, mostly I record and then watch later when I have free time.
    I can stream to my devices locally at home and anywhere else as long as I can get a w/fi connection.

6. applereviewguy macrumors regular

You should be fine... I record 6 1080i streams on my computer with an i5 Quad, and so you'd be fine with an i5 Mac Mini.

7. macunix macrumors newbie

How do you record 6 streams at once?