Mac Mini Audio through HDMI?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by drumichael, Aug 2, 2014.

1. drumichael macrumors newbie

I have an ASUS VS228 connected to a Mac Mini with HDMI. In sound prefs, I can choose the monitor (HDMI) as the output, but then all the options are greyed out. Changing the volume setting has no effect. I searched and there are no asus drivers available.

Also i have been through the settings on the monitor, and only find a volume level 1-100. I have it set at 100.

Anyone know if this is the monitor, or the computer, or any other input? I'd appreciate it!!!

2. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

The reason the options are greyed out is because the computer is saying it has no control over the volume. The device that the volume is coming out of will be controlling this. I just experience this when I plugged my mini into my receiver to get surround sound. I had to control the sound with my receiver. In your instance I am unsure why you aren't getting the sound..... I also have ASUS monitors but mine do not have speakers.

3. COrocket macrumors 6502

When you have a digital audio source, such as HDMI, the mini can not control the audio volume. You can think of digital audio as a bunch of "1's" and "0's" being transmitted, and the speaker system must interpret the signal then vary the power output/volume to the speakers themselves.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Are you expecting audio from the display?
    Which ASUS VS228 monitor you have?…

The VS228H has built-in speakers.
    The VS228H-P (such as sold by Walmart or Bestbuy) does not have internal speakers. The only audio out will be through the headphone jack.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The interesting thing is that my Bootcamp drivers CAN control my TV's volume through the keyboard from a Windows Vista installation. However, when I boot on Mavericks, I have to control the volume through the remote control.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Two workarounds...

First is to install Soundflower and set that as your audio out / etc. Various tutorials on this here at MR, search for sound HDMI soundflower or similar.

Simpler: use an audio patch cable from the mini's headphone port to the monitor audio in port (if it has one). Set the monitor volume controls to max and then control volume from the mini.

7. blanka macrumors 68000

Under OSX it can't. Under Windows there is no problem, Windows just alters the 1's and 0's before they go HDMI.