Mac Mini Beeping

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by JayMysterio, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

So I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question online in various searches. Two times recently when I started my Mini it beeped first before starting up. The first time was definitely the three beeps, as if bad memory. I have 3GB, 1 GB is the original memory + 2GB from OWC. I have had the memory in the mini for more than a year. I do have 8GB of memory available, just been to lazy to tear open the mini & put it in.

Today, a few days after the 3 beeps, the Mini started with a series of beeps. I am sure it wasn't the 3 beeps, more like 4 or more I think. Then it would restart the beep series. This happened a few times, then the Mini started normally.

I also occasionally hear a scratching like noise come from the mini every now & then.

Just wondering if anyone here had any ideas. I do have Applecare on the machine ( I got it the very last day ), so I am assuming Apple will help. I also have an Apple store relatively close by, but it's such a crowded zoo, that I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Thanx

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

New World Macs (1999 onward) and Intel-based Macs

The beep codes were revised in October 1999,[2] and have been the same since. In addition, on some models, the power LED would flash in cadence.

1 beep = no RAM installed
    2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
    3 beeps = no good banks
    4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
    5 beeps = processor is not usable

re seating might help

3. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

replacing the disk drive with a grenade doesn't seem like such a good idea in hindsight does it?:p

4. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Wow. :eek:

K. Thanx.