Mac Mini - Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Joshcano, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Joshcano macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm using a macmini for my entertainment system. MacMini is on the other side of the room, tv is on the other. My keyboard works fine, but my mighty mouse doesn't do so well. (both apple products) I bought another mouse (logitech) It doesn't look so pretty, so i wanted to see if i can extend the range of the bluetooth with a usb extension and Bluetooth to usb adapter. Will it work with my apple products (keyboard,mighty mouse). do i need to disable the internal BT on my mac? My main question is, will i have any effects on having two BT receivers in my mac. Will my mini only use one of them, that one being the internal and NOT the external i want to purchase. Any comments are greatly appreciated. (usb BT, http://www.google.com/products/cata...h&oe=utf-8&cid=1839431871042871015&sa=title#p )

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah I would think you would need to disable the embedded BT module on the mini so that you can use the USB one.

3. Joshcano thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what i was thinking, how do i disable hardware on a mac?

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Can you disable it in the menu? (top right, the little bluetooth icon) or does that disable both?

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah I guess you can try and select "Turn Off Bluetooth" on the menulette (top right).

6. Joshcano thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no clue, Ill let you know what happens tomorrow.

7. Joshcano thread starter macrumors newbie

Just as i thought, it disabled the internal BT and used the adapter. The only difference is when i tried to connect my iphone it made me manually input the code instead of doing it for me (like the internal BT does).

8. chubbya macrumors newbie

chubbya

Don't be surprised if wake from sleep doesn't work with the external bluetooth adapter...