Mac mini boat installation - permanent wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tejaykay, Jul 16, 2010.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Hi all,

I've just completed installation of a mac mini on a boat on the Thames. It's acting ad a media centre and is tucked away, it feeds a TV in the saloon via a HDMI delivering video and audio.

There is also an iPad which is going to be a media controller and a navigation aid.

I've created a wireless network on the mac mini, which the iPad can join to control the machine through various VNC apps and Apple's Remote app. When the Mac is switched off, it doesn't automatically create the same wireless network when switched on. How can I achieve this?

Also, the iPad is a 3G edition. However when connected to a created wireless network, it attempts to access Internet through it too, obviously this is not possible as the mac doesn't have access. Is this a known bug? Can I create a network which is purely for device communicating and not for the iPad to attempt to browse the web with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tim

2. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Ignore the latter part of my query. I have managed to join the wifi network and still be able to access the Internet via 3G.

Really my issue is for the Mac to constantly create that network when on.

Thanks again.