Mac Mini Broken Combo Drive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by fivetoadsloth, Aug 19, 2007.

1. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

MY sisters g4 mini has recently developed a problem with cd's. When they are loaded they get sucked in and spin than stop in a few seconds. THey are never recognized vby the finder, and to eject them one needs to restart holding the mouise button. Any ideas? The drive is really important to her use. Reinstalling the system will not work as the drive won't work and the problem persists in any a different user.

Oops, The issue is with DVD's as well. Is the problem definatly hardware? She is looking to sell the machine and naturally this will greatly decrease its value.

2. dandam macrumors newbie

Same problem

I encountered the same problem about a month and a half ago. I had replaced the hard drive about two months before that and wondered if that had something to do with the problem, instead, I'm afraid the mini combo drives just don't have much of a life. Sadly, I haven't found DIY replacements on iFixit or similar sites.

3. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

i think the DIY fix for this is buying new mini unfortunately :(

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

All that you need to do is pop the top off and replace the optical drive.

You can even watch a movie here to see how it's done.

I can see you've never opened a Mac mini before.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

That's completely unnecessary.

Otherworldcomputing sells a $99 dual-layer Superdrive upgrade kit for the Mini. I'm sure if you looked around, you could find something even cheaper.