Mac Mini 'Budget' Monitor Discussion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by D34th, Oct 30, 2012.

1. D34th macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I know there are a lot of monitor threads out there already, and I've read every single one. I just wanted to get a more specific scenario here instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

Some background, been using Macs for 10 years now, I will be buying a Mac Mini which will be my first Apple desktop since one of the original iMacs. I am having trouble deciding on a display. My budget is about $200, so I am in need of something on the cheaper side. I am an amateur photographer and use Aperture/Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. I am not a pixel peeper and do not need the highest quality, perfect display monitory, hence my budget. I DO need the monitor to have HDMI inputs (speakers not necessary). I am looking in the 20-24" range. Probably the most important thing is that I will eventually want two, of the same, monitor. I am starting off with one but plan on purchasing another for a dual setup in the near future. Ideally, the dual monitor setup will have the exact same monitors.

I have been intrigued with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116530

And just recently intrigued by this:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...noteSearch&baynote_bnrank=12&baynote_irrank=0

Shopping for monitors is pretty new to me since I have been using laptops for the past 8 or so years. With most of my daily computing going to my iPad, it makes sense to me to have a desktop station mainly for my photography processing tasks (again, only amateur). Any help pointing out the pros/cons that some of you may have experience with in regards to the above options and my planned workflow would be greatly appreciated. And of course, other recommendations within my $200 budget also welcome.

Thanks everyone,
    Joe

2. mordecailee macrumors newbie

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+23...18661379222&skuId=5563113&st=hp ips&cp=1&lp=2

My wife picked up a couple of the monitors linked to above from Best Buy on sale around $160 bucks. She had to calibrate the color of a bit to get them decent for video editing but over all I think they look great for a monitor of that price.

That being said, when I hooked them up to my MBP they weren't as crisp as the laptop's screen. It wasn't that noticeable when they weren't side by side.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are two things you will want:

1. IPS panel
    2. Antiglare display

Monitors with IPS panels are usually a bit more expensive, although you can find ones for less than $200 nowadays. IPS panels have better viewing angles and better colors, which are vital for photography.

I have two Dell U2311Hs but they are a bit our of your price range.

4. D34th thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your replies.

Hellhammer, I have read a little bit about IPS and hear similar things. Thank you for confirming and pointing out pros regarding these displays in relation to photography. I will be looking into these, might end up stretching my budget a little bit, but it seems to be the way to go for my needs.

Thanks again,
    Joe