Mac Mini: Bump Cpu or Ram?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by legaleye3000, Dec 11, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I'm looking to buy a Mac Mini. I don't need the 320hd on the $799 one. So I'm looking at the $599 Mini.

Which will give me more of a performance boost: 2gb ram to 4gb or the 2.26ghz to 2.53ghz? I know I can easily upgrade the ram, but I can't easily upgrade the cpu. So which is the better buy...?

Thanks

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

RAM is likely to do more for you, as 2GB is rather small these days. ;)

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

u probably wont see that much boost, from the faster CPU.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

RAM. You won't notice the difference in speed between 2.26ghz and 2.53ghz...RAM upgrade would be better for you...

cheers

5. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

I agree with the previous posts that you wont actually see that much of a speed difference between the two clock cycles. However, you can upgrade your RAM at any point (if you're willing to do it yourself that is) whereas you cannot upgrade your processer. If you are planning on keeping your Mac Mini for a while, I'd get the best processer you can, and then upgrade your ram later when you have more moneyz.

6. joe.pelayo macrumors member

I agree a RAM boost is more noticeable performance wise, but man, 2GB is pretty decent!

Thanks,
    Joe.

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Was having the same debate that the OP was having yesterday evening when the Mac Mini refurbished computers were back. I usually go the cheapest route when in debate between models. But in this situation it was a little different because of the cost of the RAM upgrade. I knew I was going to be taking it from 2gb to 4gb and from a post I read, the cost was $100 anyways to do that. So at that point, it was $79 more for the faster processor and bigger HD too and that sort of seemed worth it. If the price difference was even a little larger I would have just cheaped out and updated the RAM on my own. The hard drive will probably be a waste since I plan on throwing an SSD in there.

8. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Anyone happen to know if the processors in the new Mac Minis are upgradable, or are they perma-fixed to the logic board? Thanks.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

They are soldered. Only the earlier Intel minis were socketed.

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

What will the computer be used for? Hard to tell you which route to take with out knowing what it will be used for.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You'll see a much bigger performance jump with a RAM upgrade than the minimal CPU speed increase.

12. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Thanks. Do you mean the 2005-2006 models? I've got one of those and would just loooove to put a ridiculously powerful processor under the hood of that bad boy just for shiggles.

13. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Would my 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Mini (Macmini2,1) be one of the socketed Intel ones? If so, I could upgrade the processor on here? I wanted to install Lion on here. The RAM should be maxed out once my 2gb Crucial RAM module arrives. There is one already in the the machine in one of the slots (the other slot is empty)

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If it's the Core 2 Duo then yes, Lion will install but not on the Core Duos. Lion requires a 64bit CPU. Also you can max that Mini out to 4GB or 3.3GB effective memory with 2x 2GB sticks.

15. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a