Mac Mini - Buy used now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seanhess, Oct 30, 2008.

  1. seanhess macrumors newbie

    Jan 2, 2008
    Hey everybody,

    I've been planning on hooking a mac mini up to my new HDTV since I bought it (the tv) two months ago.

    I have enough money for one now, but I've read that new ones might be coming out, or that they might combine it with apple tv to make some killer hybrid media-center thing.

    I want a full computer for my media center, because I want to be able to watch stuff on hulu, and abc and fox, none of which will work on the Apple TV.

    So, the big question is: Should I find a cheap used one on ebay now, or wait until the next big thing comes out? Do you think the next thing is going to be worth waiting for, or not all that different?

  2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601


    Nov 19, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I'm in basically the same situation as you. I'm wanting to get a Mac Mini to use as a media center. It's hard to find one in the Apple Refurb store right now.

    It really depends on whether you want to be able to use it now, or do you want to wait for something that might not happen. There are rumors that it is going to be discontinued, then there are rumors that it's not. If it's not discontinued, will it receive updates in November with the rumored iMac refresh or will it be at MacWorld 2009? I guess we'll never know.

    So what am I planning on doing? I'm in no big hurry to get one at the moment, so I think I'll wait and see what this Spring has to offer. If the Mac Mini does get discontinued, it will suck because then Mac Minis will be hard to find or the prices will rise drastically.
  3. seanhess thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 2, 2008
    Hmm... maybe the best thing to do would be go ahead and buy one on ebay for now. If something new comes out, I can always sell it later and upgrade.

    If I wait though, I run the risk of being left high and dry.
  4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601


    Nov 19, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, it might be better to just go ahead and get one. Make sure it's a Core 2 Duo version since you're wanting to use it with an HDTV.

    Edit: I think Core Duo will also do, but I know that PPC version can't handle it.
  5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

    Le Big Mac

    Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, the way it's been I suspect if it gets discontinued, it will be like the iSight. It just stops showing up in stores.
  6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816


    Jul 6, 2007
    boxee for any intel machine does hulu... and some tv too (not sure about abc and fox in particular, i haven't had much time to play with it yet). I use my mini as a server, and have the AppleTV take2 software hacked onto it, and I've been trying Boxee. You can get a boxee invite here in the forums or I can send you one if you want to see how it works...
  7. seanhess thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 2, 2008
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

    How much RAM do you think I need? I was shooting for 2 GB, but is that overkill for video playback? My TV is 1080p, although I can't imagine what kind of a signal ever would be that high, besides movie trailers.
  8. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

    Bye Bye Baby

    Sep 15, 2004
    i(am in the)cloud
    Same boat

    I have the same exact situation. However, what stops me is not the buy now or wait problem, but rather the appalling lack of technology that is the mini. It is screaming out for the same revision as the mac book (chipset etc) and wifi n. Not to mention the hard drive connector and the like.

    It's a great little machiene and if it just was updated I would probably buy a couple of them.

    What in the name of technology is Apple waiting for?
  9. danielhayter macrumors member


    Apr 6, 2007
    Same as above

    Funny this - I am also considering the exact same purchase. Moving into a new flat in December, just bought a 30' LCD TV HD, really fancy the mac mini as a media center. Unless I can find one for a killer price on Ebay then I'm going to wait because the technology is way too old to justify paying much for it. Fingers crossed Apple will revise this line soon and we'll be quids in!
  10. newtonuk macrumors member


    Jun 17, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I was in the same position, buy now or wait.

    I chose to buy now, in fact I bought it yesterday after weighing up that the Mini will only every be either a media centre or a headless machine serving some other need and the current spec meets those needs.

    I haven't upgraded the RAM yet, but it's doing everything I need to so far. No problems with any playback, but I haven't tried any HD material yet.

Share This Page