Mac Mini can't be found by my iMac on home Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ugmold, Jun 3, 2016.

1. ugmold macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2008
    Hi folks,
    I bought an older 2007 Intel 1.83 Dual...Mini Mac to use in the living room for movies/Music. It is running Snow Leopard. It works on the internet fine via ethernet fine. I would like to exchange files with my iMac (El Capitan) using the Drop Box. But neither machine can seem to see each other when I go "command K" (network)

I have an old Blue and White G3 (ethernet) and an old Powerbook G4 (airport) which can see the iMac fine.

On the Mini I have Allow guest users to connect to shared folder selected. I also have restarted the Macs and the Comcast Modem/Router Box.

Any ideas?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Aug 28, 2012
    Between the coasts
    Dropbox is a cloud service, it is not a feature of OS X. If you can see a Dropbox folder in Finder, it's because you installed the Dropbox app on that computer. Each computer connects to Dropbox independently, over the web. It does not work "locally" over ethernet/wifi.

My guess is that you haven't installed the Dropbox app on the Mini.
  3. ugmold thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2008
    In "Users" in "Public" there is a folder called "Drop Box" where I have been sharing files amongst my Macs for years.
  4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

Jul 30, 2003
    Do you have file sharing enabled on your mini? (System Preferences/Sharing/File Sharing selected)

If you do want to use Dropbox (rather than use the built-in file sharing), you have to install Dropbox on your mini, too. (Dropbox does NOT come with your OS X system, you have to add it yourself, then set it up for use.)
  5. ugmold thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2008
    Hi DeltaMac, that was it, Thanks so much for your help.