Mac Mini can't be found by my iMac on home Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ugmold, Jun 3, 2016.

1. ugmold macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    I bought an older 2007 Intel 1.83 Dual...Mini Mac to use in the living room for movies/Music. It is running Snow Leopard. It works on the internet fine via ethernet fine. I would like to exchange files with my iMac (El Capitan) using the Drop Box. But neither machine can seem to see each other when I go "command K" (network)

I have an old Blue and White G3 (ethernet) and an old Powerbook G4 (airport) which can see the iMac fine.

On the Mini I have Allow guest users to connect to shared folder selected. I also have restarted the Macs and the Comcast Modem/Router Box.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    -ug

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Dropbox is a cloud service, it is not a feature of OS X. If you can see a Dropbox folder in Finder, it's because you installed the Dropbox app on that computer. Each computer connects to Dropbox independently, over the web. It does not work "locally" over ethernet/wifi.

My guess is that you haven't installed the Dropbox app on the Mini.

3. ugmold thread starter macrumors newbie

In "Users" in "Public" there is a folder called "Drop Box" where I have been sharing files amongst my Macs for years.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Do you have file sharing enabled on your mini? (System Preferences/Sharing/File Sharing selected)

If you do want to use Dropbox (rather than use the built-in file sharing), you have to install Dropbox on your mini, too. (Dropbox does NOT come with your OS X system, you have to add it yourself, then set it up for use.)

5. ugmold thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi DeltaMac, that was it, Thanks so much for your help.