Mac Mini chirping/squeaking

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ZachsMacDaddy, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Every once in a while my Mac Mini will start to chirp/squeak. It almost sounds like crickets.

It started doing it again about 5-10 minutes ago and just stopped as I began typing this post.

Does that sound like it could be the fan making the noise or the hard drive? I would think that if it were the drive I would here it MUCH more often.

2. rfruth macrumors regular

rfruth

Don't worry if something is going to fail you'll know when it does :mad: course you can use aquarium tubing (or some such) to isolate the offending part :eek:

3. stukdog macrumors 6502

My Guess is that it's the fan. At least that would explain why it only happend every once and a while. (perhaps when the fan kicks on.)

Perhaps you can take the top off and get a better location when it starts to chirp.

4. ZachsMacDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

It's a good thing it's still under the original 1 year warranty until mid October.

This will be the first time I've ever had to deal with Apple support.

5. stukdog macrumors 6502

Apple Support is great. If it's under warranty than that is definitely the way to go. Just be sure to get a good backup and then get it in.

6. techathy macrumors newbie

What was the resolution of this issue? I have a mac mini doing the same thing & wondering if it's time to replace it or not.

7. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

definitely sounds like the fan, just tell apple you know it is and they can change it out :)