Mac Mini component video output

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Khadafi, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Khadafi macrumors newbie

Hi. I have been trying to solve this issue for a very long time. My TV doesn't have DVI or VGA inputs, so I can only use component video input to plug my mac mini(mid 2007).

But I have serious problems with it. I have bought a Dvi to component video cable on eBay but it doesn't work with mac mini(it works with old PC). I have heard that there should be some special cable. Can you help me please solve this problem?

Thanks

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

As Arthur Dent has correctly suspected, make sure you don't mix up your "Component" and "Composite" video.

Sorry if you already know all this but:

Does your TV have
    (a) yellow+red+white phono/RCA inputs (= composite + audio) or
    (b) red+blue+green phono/RCA inputs (= component)?

BTW, if it's composite, you won't be able to read much text if you're using your TV as a desktop monitor. You'll have to turn the resolution right down (to 640x480 levels!! :eek: )

3. pmcmvp macrumors member

how is the quality with s-video? Im planning to watch movies with my projector. I know s-video is worst but it could be good enough. I may just have to try.

Also I read that this adaptor does not fit with the mini DVI to DVi adaptor with the new mac mini. Is this true?

4. ADent macrumors 6502a

The DVI* to S-Video above a) will not fit into a 2009 Mac mini b) The 2009 Mac mini does not support S-Video directly, even with an Apple miniDVi to S-Video adapter.

You need to at least get the $27 VGA to Svideo adapter from monoprice (there are nicer units) to use with the miniDVI to VGA adapter. Do a search here and you will see at least on report of success.

5. pmcmvp macrumors member

6. pmcmvp macrumors member

I just realize my projector has a VGA input. How would movies look like with VGA compared to s-video.

7. pmcmvp macrumors member

I just realize that VGA is not widescreen?

Is there any way to use s-video from the 2009 mac mini but widescreen?

8. pmcmvp macrumors member

i mean is there a way to make it widescrren with vga?

9. pmcmvp macrumors member

10. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

I believe the options you have available depend on what monitor/projector you plug it into.

I use VGA to feed my 24" widescreen Dell screen at 1920x1200 - sure looks wide to me!