Mac mini config question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timeconsumer, Aug 3, 2009.

1. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Hi,

my dad is finally willing to switch to mac due to his windows computer finally dying on him.

A few questions do come up:

1. Should I recommend the upgrade to max memory? He will mainly be using this for email, Internet and iTunes.
    2. Can he leave this running at all times? Or would he need to shut down when not in use? I'm only asking due to the small size, any overheating issues with leaving it on?
    3. He got about 4-5 years out of his windows box based on his usage. Can he expect the same out of a mac mini? Again the reason I am asking is due to the size/heat issue.

Thanks for all who take the time to read and respond.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

1. 1GB can be a bottleneck, I recommend getting him at least 2GB of RAM.
    2. I leave mine on almost all day, no overheating issues.
    3. Yes.

3. timeconsumer thread starter macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Thank you MacMini2009, I will let him know. You've just eliminated my biggest concern. Might pick one up for myself now.

4. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yea I would also recommend 2gb ram. You might be able to do it cheaper if you upgrade it yourself, it depends if you feel up to doing it or not! [​IMG]

5. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

if you bring the ram sticks into an apple store they will fit them for you even if they are 3rd party and obviously doesn't validate the warranty

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

For free? Or at what price?

I think my parents are going to get a mac mini (the EIGHT year old PC has finally given up) and I am a little concerned that in a year's time my dad's going to go "I need to upgrade the RAM" only to have me say, "well ok fetch a putty knife then"

I don't think he'd be all that impressed with having to break into the computer.

7. mdgolom macrumors 6502

1. I would also recommend 2GB which will speed up the machine and allow more memory to be allocated to the graphics. If you're going with 2GB, I would let Apple install the memory. It's not much more expensive than doing it yourself, and opening a Mac Mini isn't fun.
    2. No problem letting it run all of the time. I just bought one 3 months ago to use as a DVR. It's running 24x7 without a problem.
    3. I don't see why not. I have an iMac that's been around for 4 years running as another DVR.

8. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I've never know Apple to install third party memory. When they replaced my iMac under AppleCare, they did remove my 3rd party memory when I gave them the original back.

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Apple does not upgrade the memory in your Mac Mini with 3rd party RAM.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Correct. Some Apple certified repair shops will do it for a price though.

11. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I was under the illusion that if you bought in 3rd party ram or hard drives that geniuses would install them for you at Apple stores, not that Apple are selling this. Can anyone clear this up for me?