Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
I've just bought a 32" HD LCD screen, and I'm looking for a HD source to use with it.
My PowerBook G4 just isn't cutting the mustard - it's pretty jerky on the MPEG2 720P files I've tried, and there just isn't a hope with h.264.

So I'm thinking of picking up a second hand Mac Mini Core Solo, which I'm hoping to be able to get for around £250 with the recent speed bumps. Does anyone have an experience of HD playback on one of these? Is it good enough?
My other uses aren't that demanding, just using Front Row to stream music from my iMac, and possibly picking up and EyeTV box for it.

Cheers for any help :)

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
From what I understand it can play back both 720p & 1080i MPEG-2 at full frame rate. It stutters with the 1080p H.264 movie trailers... but the CPU is of course upgradeable to Core Duo or Core 2 Duo.

The 1.42GHz G4 mini can also just barely play back 720p & 1080i MPEG-2. That might be a cheaper route if you don't care about H.264.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
The new lower Mini is dual core now, so that is a worthy option too.

You can also try to get it from the US and avoid your crazy 20% VAT!

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
generik said:
The new lower Mini is dual core now, so that is a worthy option too.

You can also try to get it from the US and avoid your crazy 20% VAT!
Well I was hoping the new ones will force down the second hand price of the single core ones. I don't really fancy buying a new one, because I'm not going to use it for much apart from media playback.

Although if I can use it as an excuse to take another trip to America... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.