MAC MINI CPU replacement

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jgbr, Dec 14, 2007.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Just a quick couple of questions:

A) Can i replace the 1.83ghz C2D 667FSB ETC cpu with the 2.4ghz 800 fsb model?

B) If i wanted to replace the internal hard drive, do i put a PATA or SATA hard drive?

Thanks

2. geissap macrumors member

What kind of Mac Mini is this?

Never PATA always SATA on mac's.

You can't upgrade the processor. The processor on this unit is soldered on the main MLB...it wouldn't be worth it to invest in a new MLB and Processor to upgrade it. Who knows what kind of firmware issues you would have. Cheaper to just buy a new one.

3. rob finch macrumors member

The Core2Duo CPU will not be soldered to the board, so you can replace it. The motherboard you have is 667Mhz FSB, so the 800Mhz CPU will not run any quicker on it. You'd be better off getting a 2.33Ghz Core2Duo.

4. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502

SO, it looks unlikely we will see a new mac mini in January, However, do you think it will swap over to 45nm straight away?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Late next year if the Mac mini survives.

6. welshy1812 macrumors member

I upgraded my mini to the C2D 2.16, the only one available that is faster is the 2.33, which is still pretty expensive.

It's not soldered and it's pretty easy to swap it out.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

where did you get this idea from? all of the intel Mac Minis do not have a soldered processor, people were upgrading the core duos to core2duo before apple officially released C2D.
    to the OP: just one thing you may want to think about if you haven't bought one already for this then pick up a used core solo mini, since this will be the cheapest you can find and there will be no difference once the processor is upgraded.

8. geissap macrumors member

I was thinking G4...even though it's clearly stated in his first post. Not sure why...saw word upgrade assumed G4.