Mac mini CPUs past, present, and future

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by guerrillamac, Apr 24, 2009.

1. guerrillamac macrumors newbie

I have been wanting to purchase a Mac mini. Badly. For years. With the March 2009 update, I got very close. However I worry the 2.0GHz will be easily confused (aka more difficult to search for parts, resell, etc) with the older 2.0GHz model.

Thus I have been gauging the past, present, and possible future CPUs of Mac mini, in hopes that the next revision is not far.

Below is some research.

What are your timeline guesses for the next Mac mini revision?

[​IMG]

2. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I think the next update will be in 2010. It would use Arrandale or a higher-clocked Penryn if Apple wants to use last-gen technology (which I wouldn't be surprised if they did).

For Penryn, I think the speeds will be bumped to 2.17/2.4 GHz or something similar.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or it will take them another 2 years to update. :p

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

The mini isn't something that Apple upgrades often. Since it was just updated I think this is the best time you could ever get a mini. If you want it now then you should get it. Just think of how long you'll have to enjoy it before the next revision.

5. guerrillamac thread starter macrumors newbie

That is great advice, Cboss. I agree in spirit but can't quite pull the trigger.
    I'll read your post a couple more times and try to muster up.

If there isn't a new Mac mini with Snow Leopard, I'll look for a 2.26GHz on craigslist.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Good luck trying to find one. Get a base model, ram the ram and put in a 7200 rpm hard drive. Done and done.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Just get the 2 ghz, your reasons not to are absolutely ridiculous.

And you'll never notice the 0.2 increase in GHz unless you count every second when encoding in Handbrake.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given apple's track record for updating the mini, I'd say that estimate is overly ambitious. They just updated it, and I don't expect to see anything from apple on the mini until 2011 at the earliest. The mini while popular has such thin profit margins and if they update it too much could impact iMac sales. So much so they let the mini sit there for seemingly years on end before they update the puppy.

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Since Intel, significant updates happened at about one and a half years apart. That would put an update in mid-late 2010.

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

By summer the new minis should be showing up in Apple's refurb section.

11. guerrillamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac mini, Apple's sentinel!

With the WWDC announcements the Macbooks have been following the cpu upgrade path (bumped all the way to 2.8), but alas the dear mini remains staid and loyal.
    Maybe Apple doesn't want to cast shadows on the minimal cpu specs of the Air?