Mac Mini crashes when usb storage device are plugged in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iamfaiz, Apr 17, 2009.

1. iamfaiz macrumors newbie

The Mac Mini has been going through this strange cycle where anytime I plug in an external hard drive or a flash drive it forces me to hold down the power button to turn it off. If I try booting the Mac Mini with the HDD or flash drive plugged in, it refuses to boot...

anyone else have this problem?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

If it continues after SMC reset, I'd say head on down to your local apple store, but be sure to make an appointment first.

4. raziel777 macrumors regular

5. kolax macrumors G3

Are you using Parallels Desktop or Fusion (virtualisation software for running Windows). I found that I could get a kernel panic in the older version of Parallels Desktop when I plugged in a USB device.

Either that or it is a sign of a dodgy logic board, as kernel panics are nearly always hardware related.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you archive and install some of the app preferences will be saved - therefor your problem might still be there.

have you tried trashing prefs (i.e power managment, anything USB related, boot related)?

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

you could boot up while holding Command+V to enable verbose booting and see what's going on.

also it might help if you posted what's going on in your console...

if we can't help on here past tonight i think you should bring it to the Apple store, if they can't help - go ahead and format+reinstall a fresh copy of OS X