Mac Mini Data Erase

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by hayhay, Apr 13, 2014.

1. hayhay macrumors member

I've searched the forums and haven't quite found the scenario I'm in. I have a Mac Mini...bought in 2009 with Snow Leopard...I have since upgraded each time and am currently running Mavricks. I'm FINALLY getting a Macbook Pro in a few days and what I would like to do is transfer all of my info to the Macbook...and then erase the Mini and give it to my Wife. All that I have read instructs to erase, reformat, & reinstall Snow Leopard...but I really wanted to keep Mavericks on it for my Wife and didn't want to have to buy the upgrade AGAIN...so is there a way to wipe the data without reformatting and reinstalling the OS?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

If I'm reading your post correctly, all you really have to do is create a new user account for your wife and then delete the current account to remove all the data in it.

3. anonnymouse, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014

anonnymouse macrumors regular

my bad, I didn't read closely enough to realize Mavericks was already on the mini.

Do what Sandbox suggested - go to System Preferences > Users and create a new user account for her with Administrator privileges. Once that is done, log out of your account. Log back in to hers, and go back to System Preferences > Users and delete your old account, removing the home folder for that account when it asks you.

Sorry my old answer was incorrect ;)

4. hayhay thread starter macrumors member

DUH!!! of course it can be that simple.

Let me expand on my question. Currently I have my iTunes library, photo library, and Mobile Backups on an external hard drive...the mobile backup has a symbolic link on my Mac mini (that I will be deleting my user on)...I guess the question is...when I restore my new Macbook to the backup that was the Mac mini...will iTunes and iPhoto and mobile sync links be broken?
    Sorry...I'm just really paranoid I'm going to lose a bunch of stuff.