Mac mini deal too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by someguy, Sep 3, 2007.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So I was scouring CraigsList today like I always am and came across this ad:

http://flint.craigslist.org/sys/412434623.html

I would definitely pay $150 for that machine if it's in good shape (yes I noticed the "stock" image).

So I send over an email asking if he'd take $125 in cash today and he will.

Seems kind of fishy to me, but he's local and willing to meet in person. I have his phone number and tried calling him, but just got his machine. WhitePages.com says his number is an unlisted Verizon land line.

Is this deal really that great that I should worry about it's legitimacy or no? I mean, I realize it's a first gen non-intel mini running Panther, but it still brings over $200 easy on eBay, does it not?

2. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

it seems like a very good deal to me.

i would only pay if i could see the system and test is (boot it, see the system profiler) and if it was complete..

if all checks out, the seller seems to be in need for cash

3. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Could be. He isn't responding to my emails this morning. We'll see what happens today.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'd say that if you're doing the transaction in person and you have a chance to boot and test the machine, then it's kind of hard for the deal to be "too good to be true." Some people just don't realize the resale value of the old minis/apple computers in general. They just figure, "Hey I only paid $500 back when this was brand new, I've had it for years..I'm lucky to get 100 bucks back." Good logic, just doesn't stand true for Apple computers, that's all..

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I say go for it since he is willing to meet in person and willing to sell the 1.42GHz Mac Mini for only $125. :)

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Doubt if its stolen if it comes in original packaging with all cables, etc.

8. esaleris macrumors 6502

9. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

He just emailed me back, saying that someone came along and snatched it up for more than he was asking for it. Sounds like BS to me but either way, looks like I won't be getting a great deal on a new Mac mini today. :(

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Bummer, at least your money is safe. Another deal will come along, just keep an eye out. :)