Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toronado455

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
My Mac mini always defaults to "External headphones" as the sound output device. It will not remember the last setting on a reboot. So if I change Output to "Mac mini Speakers", after I reboot, it will change itself back to "External headphones". Is this a bug?

EDIT:
Just to clarify... my original post was regarding sound settings not saving my preference for internal speaker as the default choice. After posting, a new problem started in which the internal speaker is completely unavailable in sound settings. The Mac startup chime still functions through the internal speaker indicating that the speaker itself is still working.

Last edited:

toronado455

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Some additional information please:

Which Mac mini and do you have anything plugged into headphone jack?
Mac mini 2018 (as stated in my signature).
Yes, I have my headphones plugged into the headphone jack.
The situation has gotten worse. Now the Mac mini internal speaker is not even listed in the available sound output devices.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 6.58.23 PM.png

toronado455

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I'm expecting to have a choice and not be forced to use the headphone jack as my output just because something is plugged in there. FYI, this was never the behaviour previously. This only started a few days ago. Previously, it always gave me the choice of my output device, even if something was plugged into the headphone output. So, yes, that's what I expect.

For the sake of argument, I unplugged the headphones and now there is ZERO audio. The Mac mini speaker is completely unavailable. I can't imagine how this is not a bug.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 8.37.53 AM.png
It has defaulted to the monitor (which has no speakers) as the only remaining output choice.

Here is what is displayed if I attemtpt to adjust the volume:
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 7.50.47 PM.png

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Just curious; does it chime on startup/restart. I think the 2018 mini should have the startup chime.

If it's broken, maybe the simplest thing is to get a cheap USB sound device of some sort. Maybe even with microphone, for Siri, Facetime and such.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
On earlier Macs, the headphone/internal speaker was an either/or situation. It's normal on a 2018 mini to be able to select internal, even if headphones are connected.

however, not seeing internal even without those plugged in, indicates a problem. Test with a new user account, if it's the same there I'd suspect a hardware issue.

Reactions: toronado455

toronado455

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
On earlier Macs, the headphone/internal speaker was an either/or situation. It's normal on a 2018 mini to be able to select internal, even if headphones are connected.

however, not seeing internal even without those plugged in, indicates a problem. Test with a new user account, if it's the same there I'd suspect a hardware issue.
Thank you!

I tested with a new user account as you suggested. Same problem persists. No internal speaker choice available in sound settings.

To answer Ben's question: yes the start up chime functions normally through the internal speaker, so that seems to indicate a functional internal speaker.

Reactions: Ben J.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Seems to me there is some kind of "mechanical switch" at the headphone jack, which disables the internal speaker(s) when a headphone is plugged in.

I'm wondering if that switch could be "stuck"?
So that even when you remove the headphones, nothing changes?

Reactions: Ben J.

toronado455

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Seems to me there is some kind of "mechanical switch" at the headphone jack, which disables the internal speaker(s) when a headphone is plugged in.

Not on my Mac because previously it allowed internal speaker operation even with the headphones plugged in.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

On earlier Macs, that would be a valid hypothesis. But later Macs use that switch only to detect the "Presence" of headphones, which is working on the OP's Mac (unplugging the headphones removes Headphones as an option).

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I tested with a new user account as you suggested. Same problem persists. No internal speaker choice available in sound settings.
Okay, one last test - this won't affect data existing on the Mac.

Open Disk Utility and create a new Volume with APFS format. Then boot into Recovery (boot while holding Command-Option-Shift-R) and run "Reinstall macOS" and install it on that new volume. Create a user, skip the Apple ID input - and test there.

If you get the same results - it's DEFINITELY a hardware issue. If it's working there, then... I don't know what could cause that offhand, but certainly something with your existing macOS install. My expectation is that you'll confirm a hardware issue but ya don't know until ya try.

To get back to your prior install, boot while holding Option and select your original boot volume. Then open Disk Utility and delete the new one, you'll be back where you started.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
If you can't resolve the problem, just buy a cheap audio interface (such as a $25 Behringer) and direct all the output to that. They all have HP sockets, and outputs for powered speakers. They even have a separate volume control for the HP's, which is a 1000 times better than pi**ing around with the up/down software volume control on a Mac. If you don't want to spend much on external powered speakers (and let's be fair your requirements must be pretty simple if the awful-sounding Mac Mini speaker is good enough), then just buy the cheapest pair of powered computer speakers you can find and buy them.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Since it's an Intel Mac (with the T2 chip), I would try resetting NVRAM.
From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, R.

3. Release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart. For example, you might hear a startup sound more than once, or see the Apple logo more than once.

4. When your Mac finishes starting up, you might need to adjust any system settings that were reset.

Then if that doesn't fix it, I would try resetting SMC.
From https://support.apple.com/en-us/102605

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.

2..Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.

3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

PS. NVRAM and SMC issues can continue even after reinstalling the OS.

toronado455

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I updated MacOS to 14.4.1 today and this apparnenly resolved the issue of no internal speaker. Internal speaker has been restored as an option in sound settings.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 5.10.09 PM.png

If that particular problem comes back I will try some of the other suggestions (booting into recovery, resetting NVRAM or SMC).

Would still prefer to be given the ability to choose a default output device and have that setting stick instead of it defaulting to headphones on every reboot, but not a big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

toronado455

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
If you can't resolve the problem, just buy a cheap audio interface (such as a $25 Behringer) and direct all the output to that. They all have HP sockets, and outputs for powered speakers. They even have a separate volume control for the HP's, which is a 1000 times better than pi**ing around with the up/down software volume control on a Mac. If you don't want to spend much on external powered speakers (and let's be fair your requirements must be pretty simple if the awful-sounding Mac Mini speaker is good enough), then just buy the cheapest pair of powered computer speakers you can find and buy them.
In my current living situation I don't have my full home studio setup, so I'm currently using the internal speaker when I'm not using my headphones. This is a temporary situation, and not indicitive of my preferences. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.