Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gophez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Hello, guys
this is my first post here and please forgive me if I post something in wrong way.

I ordered:
Apple Mac Mini
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mavericks

and Dell U2414H http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=860-BBCG

Today I searched on internet about Mac Mini + Dell U2414H and it looks like there is a problem when connecting them over DP. Here is the original posting:

This is clearly some kind of an issue with the monitor. People all over the world are having problems with DP connection on the U2414H. Moreover, two professional reviews talk about very strange and absolutely uncommon behavior of the U2414H, when it connected over DP.

TFT Central: On top of this we did find the DisplayPort input to be incredibly fussy. We had a great deal of difficulty getting a laptop connected over DP, when normally on every other screen it's just a simple case of plugging it in and it automatically detecting the appropriate resolution and refresh rate. With the U2414H it seemed to occasionally work, but quite often the screen would inexplicably just show "entering power saving mode" or worse still seem to make the graphics card driver crash when it tried to use DisplayPort. We're not sure what was causing this, but it's the first screen we've used which gave us these kind of issues. From our normal testing PC the DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort seemed to work fine thankfully. Had the screen featured VGA we could have avoided those issues with the laptop hopefully.
One other issue was that the DisplayPort connections didn't seem to detect a signal if your PC was waking up from sleep, so you'd have to unplug and re-plug the cable sometimes to get the screen to display anything again. Alternatively you can power the screen fully off and on again via the power button which allows it to redetect the input again.

PC Monitors: An Nvidia GTX 780 was used on our test system and we tested both DisplayPort and HDMI – with interesting results. When using either DisplayPort or HDMI the GPU sent out the wrong colour signal (‘Limited Range RGB 16-235’ instead of ‘Full Range RGB 0-255’). This reduced gamma, skewed white point, hugely impacted contrast and simply gave everything a washed out look. We are quite used to seeing this with Nvidia GPUs connected via HDMI as that is their default behaviour – treat the connected device as an HDTV. But we aren’t used to seeing this over DisplayPort which is currently a PC-only output. We tested the ‘MiniDP’ port as well as the full sized DP port using both DP 1.1 and DP 1.2. The native resolution of the monitor (1920 x 1080) is listed under ‘Ultra HD, HD, SD’ as ‘1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native) when connected by DisplayPort. This list of resolutions is designed for output in RGB 16-235 to devices such HDTVs. The resolution should instead be listed under ‘PC’ as ‘1920 x 1080 (native)’, but it isn’t.

and this is the original link: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19542085.aspx

An answer from dell's forum moderator says:
The displays team has already closed this discussion. Going forward, you are going to see many more monitors from us and other vendors that will be reported by AMD and Nvidia as HDTV's. They are pushing this, not Dell.
Should I be worried when Mac Mini has Intel HD 4000 video card?

This is from another forum: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1975248/displayport-dell-u2414h-monitors-work.html
It appears that my lenovo laptop has the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, which does not support displayport 1.2; it only supports 1.1a.

For the mac, it has thunderbolt 1, which does not support 1.2 displayport. The new thunderbolt 2 connector does support displayport 1.2

Does someone has these two items and has the same issues?

Do you think everything will work fine or I should cancel the order and choose another monitor?

TidyWorks

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Turn off your monitor
Unplug all inputs cabling from the monitor
Turn on the monitor
Press the menu button
Press the Check OK button (3rd from left) and hold for 15 seconds
Then disable DP 1.2

Should now work with 1.1

gophez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
TidyWorks, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I cannot test your suggestion because I ordered it but I have not received it yet and for this reason I would be really happy if someone has the same configuration and can assure me that everything will work fine. I still can cancel the order so any advice is welcome.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
TidyWorks, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I cannot test your suggestion because I ordered it but I have not received it yet and for this reason I would be really happy if someone has the same configuration and can assure me that everything will work fine. I still can cancel the order so any advice is welcome.

I have one being delivered tomorrow to partner my new Mac Pro I bought to replace my 2012 Mac mini that I still have. I can try it with both. HDMI is also a possibility I believe. Will let you know how I get on!

gophez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
richardmu,
that sounds great. I really will wait for you to tell me about the combination with Mac Mini (2012).

Thank you so much!!! :)

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I have one being delivered tomorrow to partner my new Mac Pro I bought to replace my 2012 Mac mini that I still have. I can try it with both. HDMI is also a possibility I believe. Will let you know how I get on!
like to know too

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I've been running the mini with a 24" Sony Bravia TV via HDMI and it was good enough for general home computing. However, it didn't look quite so good with the nMP hence I ordered the Dell.

I'll hook both machines up to the Dell with DP and HDMI and see what I get. Very much hope the nMP looks better than on the TV!

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Hi,

I have a mac mini and a Dell U2414H.

Unfortunately, the mac sees the Dell as a TV. Therefore, it is incoreectly sending a composite signal to the monitor.

What we need to do is force RGB. The solution may be found in this blog here: http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

Note: I recommend you use the universal fix that works for all monitors.

Essentially, what you will be doing is running a ruby script in Terminal and then placing the newly created folder in/System/Library/Displays/Overrides, thus overriding the EDID of the monitor. (Don’t worry, it’s easier then it sounds, :) )

When you go to “About this Mac” /System Report/System Displays you will see RGB now being correctly sent to the monitor.

I would also recommend that you do a custom setting of 99/92/98 for RGB within the OSD menu of the monitor (see the TFT review at http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm);
and run the built-in software calibrator on the mac (Apple Menu/Display/Color Tab/Calibrate button) for correct gamma.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you enjoy your computing experience for years to come :)
and what is this script?
will the monitor still go into sleep status etc?

gophez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
jlus3,
thank you for answer. After 5 years as a Linux user I would like to move to Mac exactly because I was tired of applying different scripts. Yes, the Mac Mini plus external monitor is the cheapest option but it's not so cheap for me and for this reason I would like to go with the best possible monitor in this price range. As I stated earlier I still can cancel the order.

Which monitor will be a good choice?

Reading MacRumors' forums I though that going with the Dell Ultrasharp would be the safest path but obviously it's not the case. Should I go with older model as Dell Ultrasharp 2412m? What about BenQ models :confused:?

I am looking for:
1. I would like to be sure that when I plugged it everything will work properly
2. Pulse Width Modulation free
3. 23 or 24''
4. 16:9 or 16:10 (doesn't really matter)
5. IPS Panel

Thank you guys for your time and effort to help me.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I'm also thankful to gophez
I really want to know if it works out or not
else I'm buying an iMac
I really don't want halfworking devices or troubles any more on computers...

gophez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
jlus3, yes it is not a problem even if I must run 15 scripts because you already figured it out for me (or the person who created the script) and I need just to copy-paste it in the terminal.

My point is that when you're still in the process of buying, there is a bad feeling in my stomach when I am reading so many negative comments or the need of running scripts. Don't get me wrong - in cases when you already have the monitor and would like to make it work better I think it is ok. But I still have the opportunity to change my mind and would like to have something for the next 2-3 years which I like. I apologize for my complaining but as most people I want the best for my money. Maybe here some people would suggest buying iMac but it is too expensive for me otherwise I would.

Thank you again.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
jlus3, yes it is not a problem even if I must run 15 scripts because you already figured it out for me (or the person who created the script) and I need just to copy-paste it in the terminal.

My point is that when you're still in the process of buying, there is a bad feeling in my stomach when I am reading so many negative comments or the need of running scripts. Don't get me wrong - in cases when you already have the monitor and would like to make it work better I think it is ok. But I still have the opportunity to change my mind and would like to have something for the next 2-3 years which I like. I apologize for my complaining but as most people I want the best for my money. Maybe here some people would suggest buying iMac but it is too expensive for me otherwise I would.

Thank you again.
I haven't ordered yet and I'm seriously considering going for the iMac now... and I have a fabulous screen at home, but I really don't want any computer problems any more ever

gophez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Maybe it was the Apple manual "How we don't play nice with others" :)

gophez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
I will wait until richardmu shares his experience tomorrow.

Also found this model of BenQ - http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-bl2411pt which is:
- IPS
- flicker free
- 1920 x 1200 resolution
- same warranty
- almost the same price

but I can't find someone sharing info about connecting it to the mini.

I don't want to start a new thread so if someone has it, please share with us whether it works fine with Mac Mini 2012 (Intel HD 4000).

Thank you!

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I will wait until richardmu shares his experience tomorrow.

Also found this model of BenQ - http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-bl2411pt which is:
- IPS
- flicker free
- 1920 x 1200 resolution
- same warranty
- almost the same price

but I can't find someone sharing info about connecting it to the mini.

I don't want to start a new thread so if someone has it, please share with us whether it works fine with Mac Mini 2012 (Intel HD 4000).

Thank you!

I think it applies to all third party screens :s

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
The new monitor works on both the mac mini and mac pro via HDMI only.

No joy whatsoever getting it to talk via the supplied Dell mini-DP to DP cable. Spoke to Dell support and they reckon it might be the cable that is not compatable with Apple TB port. It fits nice but that's it. I don't have any other simllar cable or other means of testing if the cable it faulty or just not working with a TB port.

It's a lovely monitor and appears to work fine over HDMI. Not sure what to do. I would like the DP connection to work even if I probably would carry on with HDMI.

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
I was having the same issues but a simple change of the monitor setting to disable DP 1.2 fixed the issues. Most computers are not fully 1.2 compliant yet, even fewer support MST which is the main feature of 1.2, so it does not harm to disable it.

Once DP 1.2 is disabled, I highly recommend forcing RGB mode by using the various links in recent threads regarding blurry text - and this applies to just about any external monitor on a recent Mac, unfortunately.

The U2414 monitors are very good - PWM free, even backlighting, etc - and the above issue isn't due to the monitors, but rather the lack of understanding by people when to use or disable certain features like DP 1.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.