mac mini display blue tint when hooked up to TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by srt4b, Dec 16, 2009.

1. srt4b macrumors newbie

Hi,

Picked up a used mac mini from eBay to use as a HTPC. This is my first mac.

When hooked up to a TV the display has a blue tint to it. I have tried the 2 TVs in my house, both have the same result. It's so blue its not usable. When hooked up to a 20" 1440x900 reg monitor it looks fine.

Using DVI:HDMI cable & 1/8" audio

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Have you tried running the color calibration in the Displays --> Color preference pane? Or at the very least tired selecting a different monitor profile there? There are other possible causes, but the most obvious is that the Mini just isn't defaulting to a good color profile for the screen (or the default profile is way off).

If you've already run through the whole calibration routine and it doesn't help, we'll go from there.

3. srt4b thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. All the profiles are just different shades of blue.

Going to try a vga cable now.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

So the calibration routine doesn't help, right? Meaning that it's not just a blue tint, it's missing one or both of the other color channels entirely, I'd guess (can you tell if there's any red or green at all being displayed?).

The mini is certainly capable of outputting a signal to a TV via a DVI-HDMI cable, as that's exactly what I'm doing at home. And am I correct in assuming that the monitor that it worked properly with was using a straight DVI-DVI cable?

Assuming all of the above is true, it's got to be that your DVI-HDMI cable is bad. If it were the port on the computer or the graphics chip, then a monitor connected via DVI should also be screwed up--HDMI is pretty much just a rearranged DVI signal, which is why a converter cable works. It's obviously not both TVs, which pretty much just leaves the cable.

I suppose it's hypothetically possible that the mini's driver is messed up on the HDMI output (it does know when you've got it connected to an HDMI screen), but that seems unlikely.