Mac Mini display help

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cisco697, Oct 27, 2009.

1. cisco697 macrumors newbie

cisco697

o I just bought my new mac mini 2.53 C2D. And I love it! I have eye tv 3 hooked up and it runs flawless. I tested it all out with my imac to make sure that my wife could use it and would ok the purchase.

The only thing I am kinda sad about is the fact that the display does not fill the screen without overscan on. But if I have overscan on the top bar does not show.

I new about this with my imac but was reassured it was because my imac was 16X10 and that the mac mini would not have that problem. I have a samsung DLP that only does 720p which I am fine with.

Any Ideas to fill the screen? Also 1080i is an option but the screen looks shakey???? Or know of a thread that might help.

FYI I am using HDMI

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Were you extending or mirroring the iMac's display? I would try extending so that the 16:10 vs 16:9 issues aren't a factor.

Make sure you select an appropriate resolution ... I would try 1280x720p if available. I'm pretty sure your Sammy DLP has an actual resolution of 1280x720 (vs. 1366x768 that many LCDs/Plasmas have).

Also make sure you have the correct overscan setting on the TV. I think Sammy calls their zero-overscan mode as "JUST".

3. cisco697 thread starter macrumors newbie

cisco697

So let me get this straight I need to fix the settings on my sammy as well as on the mac mini. I think I only had a few options when I went into Display preferences. Let me check it out....

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It is typical to have to adjust settings on the Mac and the TV. Most TVs default to a view setting that is overscanned. You need to use a zero-overscan mode, in conjunction with the proper output on the Mac.

In short, the Mac needs to output a compatible resolution, usually 1080i/p or 720p. The TV needs to take every single pixel that it receives and map that to the pixels of the TV.

If the TV doesn't have a zero-overscan mode, you'll need to adjust the Mac so that it sends out a resolution smaller than 1080i/p or 720p so that when the TV overscans, all of your desktop shows on screen.

The first thing you need to check is that you're sending out a 16:9 screen (use desktop extending).

ft

Check out this LINK. About halfway down, there's a blurb about using the PC input and "JUST SCAN". Seems like Sammy DLPs will always have a bit of overscan.

I think you'll need to find the best combination of settings on the Mac (which is basically the Overscan button) and settings/inputs on the Sammy. Either that, or you can play with DisplayResX.