Mac Mini, DisplayPort, New Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by HawkEye40, Dec 4, 2008.

1. HawkEye40 macrumors member

Hi,

Multiple displays with the new Mac Mini we are expecting in Jan. Obviously it will use the new DisplayPort standard, but I was wondering about multiple display support. I've read somewhere in the DisplayPort spec that you will be able to "daisy chain" monitors together, as the DP cable supports multiple video streams down the same cable.

So, what do you guys think the possibilities are for the new Cinema Displays to support "daisy chaining", and the Mac Mini being able to handle it with a newer, hopefully dedicated graphics chip?

I'm a web developer and cannot justify the cost of a Mac Pro, just for the multiple display support :)

Cheers.

Edit: Found this: http://www.displayport.org/simpler-setup/Enhancements.htm
    Does anyone know if DisplayPort on current computers can be patched to support updates? Thanks for your help!

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

First of all, dont expect or even assume that a product will be updated. You'll learn this only gets your hopes up. Any information anyone gives you will be speculation, so it's not even worth talking about. Yes I am aware that this is Mac Rumors, but these arent even rumors, just guesses and assumptions.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You, maybe, but not us.

nVidia 9400M. Integrated. Unless they merge with the Apple TV, then we won't even get an upgrade from what's out now.

Why not get an iMac when they're updated and have two displays with that and some actual graphics power?

If it's a hardware thing, I doubt it.