Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ade234uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I currently use Ubuntu Linux for a majority of my webwork. I use crossover office to run Dreamweaver and photoshop.

I am thinking of getting Mac Mini due to its compact size, im sick of big boxes etc, but I keep hearing so many stories performance wise It is making me confused so was wondering if you could tell me:-

1) What the performance of dreamweaver MX / or MX 2004 on a Mac Mini with 1GB of Ram is like?

2) What the performance of adobe photoshop is like on a Mac Mini 1gb and if work needs doing at 300dpi

3) What the performance of adobe indesign is like?

3) I like to play some games but what is the performance of them like. Im talking about games like Sim City 3000 some of the older titles. But What is the performance like of some of the newer games like Sim City 4 , Doom 4?

Should I also wait for the Intel version?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i can't answer all of your questions, but if i were you i'd wait until the intel version, or at least see what they release. you can't really tell what they are going to do by all of these rumors

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Do you need it right now? If yes buy it otherwise wait.

Gaming performance on the current Mini is not great. You are pretty much limited to low resolution and detail just to get a playable frame rate.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Either way — Intel or not — the Mini wouldn't be an ideal machine for 300ppi press work in Photoshop.

And InDesign 3 is pretty stuttery on my dual 1.42PM with 2gb of RAM so I would imagine that the Mini is not ideal for this either...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.