Mac Mini doesn't work with Dell monitors

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by VIZA, Apr 3, 2009.

1. VIZA macrumors newbie

Can anyone suggest what should I do with Mac Mini 1,83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and my two new Dell monitors?
    I tried them using their standard VGI cables connected to a VGI port on a Mac Mini - both are dead. Not a single flicker.
    My Mac bought from a trusted friend and acts as a practically new machine - but not with my monitors.
    Any idea will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I went through several Mac-related forums and there's abundance of issues with "alien" monitors.
    It's very frustrating and am seeking advice that woule help me.

Thanks.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

If the monitors have multiple inputs (S-VIDEO, VGA, DVI), you can try to make sure the monitor is set for VGA.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

How are you connecting them again? Mac Minis never had a VGA port as far as I know and definitely never a VGI port (which doesn't exist). Edit: and try aristobrat's suggestion ... make sure you have the right input. What monitors do you have anyway?

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I've only ever had Dell monitors, and they've always worked fine with all my Macs, including the mini. Like the others said, I'm pretty sure you're connecting something wrong (and VGI isn't a real port).

Since it's a Core 2 Duo, it has a DVI port on the back. Are you connecting it directly to the monitor's DVI port or are you going to the VGA port with an adapter?

5. PaulexPC macrumors member

I use my 1.83ghz mini with my 19" Dell monitor, no problem at all. I use a DVI cable to DVI input on the monitor.

6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Always used Dell monitors with my Macs, never a problem.

And like several people said above, VGI doesn't exist.

It's not the Mac, it's you. :)